SRNW overflow problem

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sylar
Engineer
Engineer

SRNW overflow problem

Post by Sylar »

Hello,

I've played OTTD for about 2 weeks now and started to play around with SRNWs after reading about them on the coop wiki. I'm having a problem with trains not going to the overflow track and to the depot before the last station when it's full. They just queue up in front of it and won't pick the other way, even though the signal is green there. I made the station exit signal two-way to act as a dead end when it's red, but that didn't change anything. Tried it with both entry signals and PBSs, but still nothing.

If you take a look at the save game, then I had a similar issue with the farm loop in the north-west, mainly with the livestock line, the grain line worked right from the start. I rebuilt the tracks to the depot quite a few times making is shorter every time until it finally started working properly. I'm not sure what made it work though, I suspect it might be something with penalties, but since I really don't know what those should be to make the system work the way I want it to, I didn't try changing them.

Any fix you could provide to make it work would be appreciated, because right now I need to manually guide the trains to the depot, which defeats the point of a SRNW.

Dan
Attachments
The image showing how the trains aren't going on the overflow track.
The image showing how the trains aren't going on the overflow track.
St. Findean Transport, 13th Sep 2093.sav
Save game.
(563.09 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: SRNW overflow problem

Post by Yexo »

You've placed the exit-signals correctly, but you've used one-way path signals instead of pre-signals. Fixing that should fix the problem.
Sylar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sylar »

Yexo wrote:You've placed the exit-signals correctly, but you've used one-way path signals instead of pre-signals. Fixing that should fix the problem.
Unfortunately it doesn't. That's what's bothering me. The original solution had the pre-signal, but since that didn't work I figured I'd try the PBS. I left the PBS solution since I could just erase a straight part and have the trains go to the depot that way, the pre-signal jams the lines totally.

I added a pic to clarify.
Attachments
This is what happens with an entry pre-signal.
This is what happens with an entry pre-signal.
insulfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by insulfrog »

After seeing the other side of the station, I noticed that your maglev lines are connected to your monorail lines by a piece of normal rail. I do suggest that you delete them small pieces of normal rail so that your signals can work properly as your signals are 'seeing' the 2 outer monorail trains/tracks.
malta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by malta »

(sorry, didn't see how old the topic was, my bad)

Heya,

Anyway, you did mention you want red two-way signals to work as end-of-lines, but your savegame doesn't have the option enabled.

To fix, disregard the post above mine (it'd break your SRNW mechanics), go to the console and type "set yapf.rail_firstred_twoway_eol 1" (or leave out the 1 to see your current settings).
I recommend setting it to "true" in your ottd.cfg file as well for future games.

And a small tip, disable train turnaround at red signals:
set wait_oneway_signal 255
set wait_twoway_signal 255
set wait_for_pbs_path 255

Oh, and be sure to actually change your signals to two-ways in your loops ;)

Hope that helped a bit!

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”