Base Costs 3...how to set the parameters...

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

joshua peli
Engineer
Engineer

Base Costs 3...how to set the parameters...

Post by joshua peli »

To set the parameters I've surfed on the site wiki.openttdcoop/basecosts, but I didn't understand perfectly...for example, if I want to modify the raising/lowing land costs, what have I to write on "Set Parameters" (I want to make raising/lowing land 20 times more expensive) :?:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Base Costs 3...how to set the parameters...

Post by michael blunck »

joshua peli wrote:To set the parameters I've surfed on the site wiki.openttdcoop/basecosts, but I didn't understand perfectly [...]
This is the "Transport Tycoon » Transport Tycoon Deluxe" sub-forum. It is intended for problems related to original Transport Tycoon. Your question clearly belongs to the "OpenTTD » OpenTTD Problems" sub forums.

Like so many other posts in this sub-forum, BTW.

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

joshua peli wrote:To set the parameters I've surfed on the site wiki.openttdcoop/basecosts, but I didn't understand perfectly...for example, if I want to modify the raising/lowing land costs, what have I to write on "Set Parameters" (I want to make raising/lowing land 20 times more expensive) :?:
The first example on the page (whose link you actually quoted incorrectly) even is an example which rises the base costs for terraforming to 16x the original value. You can only rise base costs by factors which correspond a power of 2. The general way to set parameters are in pairs of two:
<base cost no> <exponent of multiplicator>
where
<base cost no> is an entry from the first column of the list http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=BaseCosts
and
<exponent of multiplicator> is the n in the multiplicator to the original base costs: 2^(n-8) Thus a value of 8 will leave the costs unchanged, a value of 9 will double it, 10 will quadruple it and 7 will half it.

I added this to the wiki page.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote: [...]
Your post is contraproductive. It´s even more inappropriate than the original posting because you know better.

May I cite the first forum rule again?
Owen Rudge wrote: 1. Forum Rules

Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting. Users consistently posting to the wrong forum may be given a warning (see Policing below). If in doubt as to where a topic should go, post in one of the General forums, or the Off-Topic forum.

[emphasis by me]
I don´t see my behaviour as "back-seat moderation". I´m getting really sick of all these ill-placed postings which nobody seems to take care of, moderators included. Better give up the forums structure completely if nobody cares.

regards
Michael
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

But he created post, not topic. And you posted multiple information about bad placement of topics instead of reporting it.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Nevertheless, neither the Transport Tycoon Deluxe (problem) section nor OpenTTD's problem section are the right place for a question about a specific NewGRF. The Grahpics Development subforum is the right place, at least according to its description.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

michael blunck wrote:
planetmaker wrote: [...]
Your post is contraproductive. It´s even more inappropriate than the original posting because you know better.

I´m getting really sick of all these ill-placed postings which nobody seems to take care of, moderators included.
SO it'd be better to wait until the new users that didn't get the forum structure right the first time creates a duplicate of his post in the correct section then answer it here? That doesn't help anybody.

And how many people are actually still playing TTD/TTO? One solution might be to move the "transport tycoon" forum to below the openttd part, or even close it completely.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

The main problem I see is the spamming of the "general" Transport Tycoon sub-forums, i.e. not OTTD- nor TTDPatch-related. It may well be that there are ill-placed posts which belong to other sub-forums than just "problems". However, a first approach would be to get rid of TTDPatch- and, mainly, OTTD-related posts from the general Transport Tycoon sub-forums.
Yexo wrote: SO it'd be better to wait until the new users that didn't get the forum structure right the first time creates a duplicate of his post in the correct section then answer it here? That doesn't help anybody.
I think it does. Hence my post. If we don´t do it this way, we wouldn´t need any forum structure at all.
Yexo wrote: And how many people are actually still playing TTD/TTO? One solution might be to move the "transport tycoon" forum to below the openttd part, or even close it completely.
From my understanding, the general Transport Tycoon forums should address "general" aspects of the game "Transport Tycoon", which is still the common denominator of its successors. Its main task is not to support playing "TTD/TTO". At least because of this idea such a sub-forum has been set up in the German tt-forums a while ago, and there it works well.

regards
Michael
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

So instead of making it easier for new users (If you use TTDPatch, go to the TTDPatch section, if you use OpenTTD, go to the OpenTTD section) you want to make it even harder (if it's general enough for both TTDPatch and OpenTTD, post in the "Transport Tycoon" section, otherwise chose either the TTDPatch or OpenTTD section depending on the game you play). Given the amount of misplaced topics we have already (which was the initial problem after all), why do you think users (especially new users) would understand this?
Owen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Owen »

Rather than replying rather brashly, would it not have been better to report the post? It would have been quicker (It takes just 5 clicks!, vs two for composing a message plus the entering of the message) and it would have enabled a mod to resolve the problem.

As is, you've done nothing constructive either for the user (Who, yes, posted in the wrong place) or the problem of many posts being in the wrong place (Perhaps you ought to raise the issue in the feedback forum?)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

michael blunck wrote:
joshua peli wrote:To set the parameters I've surfed on the site wiki.openttdcoop/basecosts, but I didn't understand perfectly [...]
This is the "Transport Tycoon » Transport Tycoon Deluxe" sub-forum. It is intended for problems related to original Transport Tycoon. Your question clearly belongs to the "OpenTTD » OpenTTD Problems" sub forums.

Like so many other posts in this sub-forum, BTW.

regards
Michael
Enough, Michael. Use the report button, like everyone else does :twisted: . I don't care whatever you write there.
joshua peli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joshua peli »

Thx for help...sorry if I have made some wrong things...I'm not so good with forums... ?( ?(
McArcher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by McArcher »

I have installed BaseCosts Mod 3.2, and am trying to set the parameters.
It is written in the GRF's description, that parameters line can store 22 pairs of numbers maximum.
When I try to write them, I can wite only 7 pairs of them, something like
4 10 5 11 8 11 21 12 24 11 25 10 33 11
Then i can add only about 3-4 digits and it stops...

How to add promised 22 pairs? ?(
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

This is really no OpenTTD Problem, so here it doesn't belong either. Isn't the NewGRF releases section meant to ask user problems?
McArcher wrote: How to add promised 22 pairs? ?(
I actually never tested with that many pairs, it was meant to be used together with the other newgrf presets. According to the spec there should be around 0x80 (127) (Edit: it might be even higher; I don't know) parameters possible.

Please try first the presets grf and if you still need so many parameters, report again. I might take a look then.

Greets
Ammler
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i presume the problem here is a string length limit in the edit box. you can try setting the parameters from the config file instead.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Ammler wrote:According to the spec there should be around 0x80 (127)
Correct, there are 0x80 (=128, not 127) parameters available.
Eddi wrote:i presume the problem here is a string length limit in the edit box. you can try setting the parameters from the config file instead.
Correct, this is most likely the problem encountered.
greenling
Engineer
Engineer

Post by greenling »

I have here be read that be talking over the Parameters what can be
change.it´s possible to taech me how can be use the parameters!
i know not many over the parameters!

greenling
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

just use nightly or 1.1 beta and you should be able to set all 22 pairs
McArcher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by McArcher »

Thnaks to everybody.
I'll be using parameters line via config file until a stable v1.1 is out. (I'm afraid of 1st-beta's bugs :) ).
v1.1 is going to bring many really needed features, acording to what I have read in its changelog!

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”