How to transfer valuables properly? Multi-segment transfer

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

chopper
Engineer
Engineer

How to transfer valuables properly? Multi-segment transfer

Post by chopper »

Hi all.

First off to the developers: :bow:
Awesome work on a fantastic game!!

I remember getting Transport Tycoon Deluxe when it first came out and it was good then, but now we have OpenTTD - even better.

I've been playing this new game and I've encountered some weird issue with cargo transfers - specifically valuables.
My question to the gurus here, how do I successfully transfer valuables between cities (3 in all) via air cargo and have trucks deliver the valuables throughout the towns? (Triangular trade)

Here's the scenario:

I have three cities between which I want to transport cargo (valuables): Bordeaux - Camiery - Chamonix (then back to Bordeaux, etc..)

- In one city (Bordeaux), I have a bank from which I ordered trucks to pick up valuables and transfer to Bordeaux airport.
- There, a refitted plane picks up the valuables and flies to another town (Camiery) to drop off valuables from Bordeaux and pick up new valuables delivered to the airport from the bank in Camiery
- Then the plane flies off to Chamonix with valuables picked up at Camiery. Drops off valuables there and flies back to Bordeaux with fresh loot from Chamonix.

None of the airports are close enough to the banks to accept valuables - I rely on trucks to deliver valuables to and from the airports.

Now ... I have trucks in each of the cities, some configured to
a) transfer valuables from bank to airport and no load; and some
b) pick up valuables to deliver to the bank.

Problem is that the trucks go to the airport and pick up valuables that were transferred there from the town's own bank, (!!) so when they go back to the bank they lose money because the valuables are going back to the same bank. In each airport, there are hundreds of transferred bags of valuables but the trucks don't pick those up, they only seem to pick up the valuables from the same town they were delivered in the first place. Example: A truck in Bordeaux configured to "load cargo" at the Bordeaux bank and "transfer / load cargo" will pick up money bags from the Bordeaux bank, drive to the Bordeaux airport, it transfers the valuables but then it will pick up valuables that were made in Bordeaux bank !! (instead of picking up some of the few hundred bags of valuables transferred there by plane from another city).

Are the orders all fubared or something? I don't get it. Sometimes the planes also do weird things like that.

Any advice/help welcome.

I'll post my savegame if need be (although I'm not sure how to add files to a post).

Cheers!
Last edited by chopper on 03 Jan 2010 17:33, edited 3 times in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to transfer valuables properly? Multi-segment transfer

Post by Hyronymus »

Moved the topic to the OTTD section :). You have more luck of finding an answer there.
chopper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chopper »

Oops! sorry. Wasn't sure where to post this originally. Thanks for the move. :?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Where the answer is already waiting for you at the Wiki:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Two-way_feeder_service
chopper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chopper »

hooray!! Thanks for your quick response..

But now that means I have to build a second airport in each city to accomplish this "two-way feeder".
Ay caramba!! I don't have space for a second airport anywhere!

Currently I have "international airports" in each of those cities but that was already tough going because the "authorities" in two of the cities "refused to allow" any construction for a while as it is. Heheehehe.. Bribing didn't work for a while either. Now that I managed to build the airports in each of the cities, I'm happy but I'm sure the "authorities" will again refuse any new construction....

It's too bad there can't be additional instruction sets to avoid building so many stations for two-way feeding.

Ah well.

Thanks again for the heads-up!
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by neob »

another option/cheat is trying to extend your airports with the truck stations, just try to place them as close to the airport as possible while still including the bank in your net and press Ctrl while placing it.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”