Reorganise Stations And Lines.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AndyLowson
Engineer
Engineer

Reorganise Stations And Lines.

Post by AndyLowson »

Being a relative TTD noob ive reached the point where my lines are clogged up and trains can hardly move.

So im appealing for help to re organise all my lines and stations and to give me tips on what's best.

See enclosed screens and save game.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XTGA4IDE - Savegame
Attachments
SS3.PNG
SS3.PNG (344.51 KiB) Viewed 906 times
SS2.PNG
SS2.PNG (364.57 KiB) Viewed 808 times
SS1.PNG
SS1.PNG (424.18 KiB) Viewed 808 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Reorganise Stations And Lines.

Post by DaleStan »

My first suggestion is that you post in the forum that discusses the game you're playing; you're not playing TTD.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

That's what I was thinking. You're playing either OpenTTD or TTDpatch, so post in one of those forums.

Also, the pictures you provided aren't really helpful. Mainly because the lines in those pictures aren't clogged up in the slightest; many of the stations look relatively deserted. It's hard to fix the problem if we can't see it.
lupask
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lupask »

Gentleman, you clearly don't see the greyish exit-signals on the entrance of stations on SS3.png, do you? Otherwise you wouldn't be claiming the game NOT to be Open TTD.

As for the reorganisation help: consider rebuilding your stations for the so-called RO-RO system. Look here http://wiki.openttd.org/Railway_station and combine the roll-in-roll-out station with presignals http://wiki.openttd.org/Image:Presignalstation.png like you already did.
As an example, I made up a possible situation, see picture. It is a bit clumsy and the track layout is not very competitive [as I am not a fan of selling old or unused tracks unless totally needed:-)], but I hope it explains the situation.
You can also see pathway-based signalling in action - there are 3 trains entering "Piestany lesy" station in one single moment on a joined tracks --and this might be just what you are looking for.
Attachments
L, 22. Máj 1981.png
Ro-ro station, pathway signalling and presignals in action on a busy station
(236.1 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Gentleman, you clearly don't see the greyish exit-signals on the entrance of stations on SS3.png, do you?
TTDPatch has got those, too. :wink:
Otherwise you wouldn't be claiming the game NOT to be Open TTD.
They dont, they are saying that this ain't TTD.

And you (OP too) do not know how to use PBS signals, either. Please read the wiki for more info: http://wiki.openttd.org/Path_Based_Signaling
Never use PBS and block signals together.. :roll:

Newfag..
Last edited by Benny on 22 Jun 2009 22:53, edited 3 times in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Bennythen00b wrote:
Otherwise you wouldn't be claiming the game NOT to be Open TTD.
They dont, they are saying that this ain't TTD.
and they said that before this topic was moved to the OpenTTD section.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Which I already know.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

lupask wrote:Gentleman, you clearly don't see the greyish exit-signals on the entrance of stations on SS3.png, do you?
Yes, I do. That proves exactly what I said; that the pictured game is not TTD. It does not prove that the pictured game is OpenTTD. If you're going to slam us for not knowing which game is pictured, it would behoove you to know what features are present in each game.

It would also behoove you to
1) Actually read what we wrote, and
2) Learn to differentiate between true ignorance and feigned ignorance.

Andy, like caveatemptor said, we can't fix a problem we can't see. Also, it is probably a good plan to provide a save, in addition to the screenshots.

As for the screenies, good call on cropping them. We appreciate that. (Provided they still contain the necessary information, of course.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
zypa
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

help

Post by zypa »

1st)
I really want to thank the usual suspect(s) for their extraordinary friendly and useful spam.

2nd)
The easiest way to improve the efficiency of your networks is to use PBS signals only. In some cases that will not be the best solution, but normally it's quite good.
As mentioned above, you'll find some useful information in the openTTD manual (PBS - http://wiki.openttd.org/PBS )

If you want to learn how to create "ultra"-effective networks, search for some openTTD-coop savegames, load such a save and study it.
There will be some "strange" things. Most of them are explained on the coop website.

Have fun!

(You will find them on the openttdcoop server: http://www.openttdcoop.org/blog/ if you click "the public server")

3rd)
Some direct help to you SS1 picture.

1) Depots right before a station are not that good. A train slowly enteres the depot and causes great lockups...
2) If these two tracks join after the tunnel, remove the tunnels, terraform and let the two lanes join directly before the station.
3) Build bridges/tunnes instead of a normal crossing. The trains may slow down, but that's usually better than stopping.

4th)
I'm really sorry for my bad english. I hope you can figure out what I'm trying to say.
Attachments
SS1.PNG
SS1.PNG (189.99 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Its coz in some places there is a complete lack of signals, and in other places you've used PBS and block signals/presignals together. I suggest you read this
zypa wrote:1st)

As mentioned above, you'll find some useful information in the openTTD manual (PBS - http://wiki.openttd.org/PBS )
This guide will tell you how to use signals.
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

This is a months old topic. :?

You should try to avoid digging up old topics unecessarily.
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”