Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Custom Music In OpenTTD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ok, i read about this somewhere taht theres a way to play your own music files in OpenTTD, but ive tried to play my own music but openttd doesnt even show it.

How do i play my own music in openTTD
BTW all my files are *.mp3

# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:10 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Only .mid files can be played... After you get your set of mid files ready, change the last part (the .mid) to the openttd standard, and post them in one of the music directories (dunno which directory to be sure...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:01 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Try these links

link
link 2
link 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:33 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Luukland wrote:
Only .mid files can be played... After you get your set of mid files ready, change the last part (the .mid) to the openttd standard, and post them in one of the music directories (dunno which directory to be sure...)

That doesnt work, I've tried midi/mid filesa nd it doesnt work, TTD TTDpatch and openTTD will just Skip the file

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:36 am 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Luukland wrote:
the openttd standard

Which is, in case you're unclear on this, neither ".mid" nor ".midi".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

DaleStan wrote:
Luukland wrote:
the openttd standard

Which is, in case you're unclear on this, neither ".mid" nor ".midi".

I know, i should have said taht even putting my own mid's/midi's in and renaming them to *.gm doesnt work

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:32 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

HInt: the system currently does not browse for files, even if they are named *.gm.
What I mean is that it expects to find gm_tt00.gm up to gm_tt21.gm AND ONLY THOSE.
So if you want to have one of your songs (midi that is) available: suggestion: save one of the original in a backup, rename your beloved song to the SAME NAME and EXTENSION en enjoy it.
That's it, no other way.

------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:06 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

belugas wrote:
HInt: the system currently does not browse for files, even if they are named *.gm.
What I mean is that it expects to find gm_tt00.gm up to gm_tt21.gm AND ONLY THOSE.
So if you want to have one of your songs (midi that is) available: suggestion: save one of the original in a backup, rename your beloved song to the SAME NAME and EXTENSION en enjoy it.
That's it, no other way.

I've tried taht also, TTDx and OpenTTD just skip files that are renamed the same as its own gm files
I thought there was a openTTD out there that had support for custom music in MIDI,MP3,WAV and i think even OGG (vorbis)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:30 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

i know i've renamed MIDIs into *.gms and OTTD has read them. Make sure they're normal midis, i guess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:37 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Lilman424 wrote:
i know i've renamed MIDIs into *.gms and OTTD has read them. Make sure they're normal midis, i guess

They are! And openTTD skips them

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:06 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

There are different types of Midis and I believe OpenTTD (as well as any other TTD) can only read a certain type. I encountered this problem when trying to convert a .mid file into a guitar pro (program for notes etc.) file and it failed for no obvious reason (no tracks were displayed after the conversion). It works with most .mid files but the one I used was from "Die Fugger 2" which is a really old game by sunflowers and apparently the mid format was unsupported by guitar pro...

So my hint is this: try another .mid file from a different source and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you're screwed, I guess ;)

quarks.game-host-org:3979

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:09 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

NekoMaster wrote:
Lilman424 wrote:

They are! And openTTD skips them

OpenTTD only reads the gm_ttXX.gm files, with XX from 00 to 21. Have you renamed your midis to one of these names?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:44 pm 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Is it possible to make OTTD support MP3, .wma and .wav file types?

If it isn't then is there a program that can covert the file types?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:46 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ben1338 wrote:
Is it possible to make OTTD support MP3, .wma and .wav file types?
Yes it's possible, but no it probably won't happen. Why not use your favorite music player in the background to play music?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:05 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Qu@rks wrote:
There are different types of Midis and I believe OpenTTD (as well as any other TTD) can only read a certain type. I encountered this problem when trying to convert a .mid file into a guitar pro (program for notes etc.) file and it failed for no obvious reason (no tracks were displayed after the conversion). It works with most .mid files but the one I used was from "Die Fugger 2" which is a really old game by sunflowers and apparently the mid format was unsupported by guitar pro...

So my hint is this: try another .mid file from a different source and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you're screwed, I guess ;)

Qu@rks - Perhaps try with Anvil Studio, it's a great midi editing/recording program and it's free. You might be able to fix the .mid's with it...

Keep 'em rollin'!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

SirkoZ wrote:
Qu@rks wrote:

Qu@rks - Perhaps try with Anvil Studio, it's a great midi editing/recording program and it's free. You might be able to fix the .mid's with it...

have it, tried it, it failed, openTTD only likes gm style midis

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Would be a cool feature to have a midi importer or something in game.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

No, because midis in general are not cool.

What would be cool is if the ingame player could issue commands to popular media players, so that you can control an external player from within the game. Problem is the definition of "popular media players". On Windows WM_APPCOMMAND would probably suffice, but don't know for other OSes...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:40 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

FooBar wrote:
No, because midis in general are not cool.
Says you.

But yeah would be cool for the game to be able to support flac or ogg format too. I'd make my own real swing soundtrack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:08 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

FooBar wrote:
Problem is the definition of "popular media players".
I think that 'flash' is the most popular media player. All those people watching youtube and basically all other content that you can view within your webbrowser.

Anyhow, the problem is getting proper statistics AND whether your mean "popular popular" or "most used popular". The most popular vacuum cleaner would be one that doesn't need you working on it (e.g. a roomba), but the most used one is probably one where you need to manually push it around your house.