newgrf limit

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FatRat
Engineer
Engineer

Re: newgrf limit

Post by FatRat »

Hi all,

I am playing a single-player world for quite some years now and I'm much into eyecandy. So I have maxed out NewGRFs but still find many more desireable. As known one cannot have more than 63 NewGRF, but I read that the OpenTTD build that you compile by yourself can be adujusted so it is able to handle more NewGRFs. So I spent the whole day today to download this and install that to finally build "my own" OpenTTD - taken from the latest GitHub and not making any changes to the configuration of the game. I endend up with a shiny and new openttd.exe, but this is running so slow on my big game that it's not playable at all.

So there are two questions left:

1. What does it take to make the self-compiled version as fast as the install version from the web page?
2. How can I get more NewGRF into the install version if 1. does not succeed?

'The answers in this thread have gotten quite old and the link on how to use the patches doesn't work anymore. Can anyone help please?

FatRat
FatRat
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the self-compiled version defaults to "debug" build, which is generally slower than the "release" builds. information how to switch can be found in the readme
FatRat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FatRat »

Thanks, I've found out how to compile a release build and it's fast :D

Nontheless, no more NewGRF can be added. I've looked for the solution below
Computer.Pers wrote: 15 Jun 2008 05:30
So (in ver 0.6.1 in Source) in file fios.h i've found:
LAST_GRF_SLOT=63
MAX_FILE_SLOTS = 64

i've changed this to:
LAST_GRF_SLOT=160
MAX_FILE_SLOTS = 161

and recompiled the game....
and everything working fine.... for now at least......
Apparently the "LAST_GRF_SLOT"-entry in fios.h has disappeared. Increasing MAX_FILE_SLOTS to 255 did not have any effects. After another hour of reading grf-related code files which I barely understand, I gave up.

However I have found a solution: https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-patches It can be so simple! Just download and use it instead of the other builds. Not only it allows 255 NewGRF, it is even running faster. :bow: And since there is no compiling needed, I can now uninstall roughly 3 GB of Microsoft Visual whatever :mrgreen:
FatRat

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”