Sound very choppy in Windows Vista

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

AFAIK vista does not allow direct access to soundcards through directX anymore.
This means your soundcards DSP won't be used at all.
So they have no (speed) advantage against onboard-soundchips with no DSP.

Another reason to never install Vista.
(I just bought a X-FI because of the DSP...)
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Frostregen wrote:AFAIK vista does not allow direct access to soundcards through directX anymore.
This means your soundcards DSP won't be used at all.
So they have no (speed) advantage against onboard-soundchips with no DSP.

Another reason to never install Vista.
(I just bought a X-FI because of the DSP...)
That's interesting... so why would anyone want to buy a soundcard at all anymore? OpenTTD uses Windows Multimedia for sound not DirectX so that might be the cause. Crappy Vista only goes the DirectX path and anything else is dropped. A DirectSound sound driver might help (next to the DirectMusic one). If I have time I can have a look at it, but this is really not a high priority.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
goldberg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by goldberg »

This time the Asus P5B mainboard comes with a Soundmax soundcard with HD audio.
And how are you going to connect this soundcard to your high-end audio setup? Vista's content protection mechanism only allows protected content to be sent over interfaces that also have content-protection facilities built in. Certainly S/PDIF is not one. And analog outputs hardly provide HD audio...

Quite old, but interesting article:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati ... p_support/

Same story applies to soundcards and any other hardware you want to connect to your PC.
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

goldberg wrote:
This time the Asus P5B mainboard comes with a Soundmax soundcard with HD audio.
And analog outputs hardly provide HD audio...
The main board comes with digital audio out and fiberoptic audio out ports. I am not really using it as this moment as my stereo does not have those inputs. ;)

But this is off-topic.

OpenTTD has problems with Vista, and as of tomorrow people will be buying Vista.
Guess what! I got a fever! And the only prescription...... is MORE COWBELL!
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

Hmm, i just read there is an OpenAL-Wrapper called "ALchemy"
for x-fi cards under vista,
which redirects DirectSound/Music and EAX-Commands to the OpenAL-driver of the x-fi.

Currently limited to creative x-fi series only.
Somehow funny.
Vistas UAA had the aim to unify the soundcard drivers,
but every manufacturer needs special drivers for their DSPs to get used somehow.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

maartena wrote:OpenTTD has problems with Vista, and as of tomorrow people will be buying Vista.
I pity those people then :roll:
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
goldberg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by goldberg »

maartena wrote: The main board comes with digital audio out and fiberoptic audio out ports. I am not really using it as this moment as my stereo does not have those inputs. ;)
As i said before - these digital outputs are S/PDIF interfaces, and they are very unlikely to work with protected content as they do not provide content protection.
maartena wrote: But this is off-topic.

OpenTTD has problems with Vista, and as of tomorrow people will be buying Vista.
They surely will. And they surely will be suprised when they find out they are unable to watch their legally owned HD movies in HD quality, because Vista thinks they are thieves. Its gonna be an interesting year for sure... :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I wonder ... How long it will be before the crack-teams have released "fixes" for that "problem"? and How long before afore-mentioned "fixes" appear on BitTorrent, ed2k, and the like?

(Quotes because it's obviously not a problem and it obviously doesn't need to be fixed. After all, MS would never release a OS with known bugs, right?)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

Wasn't HDCP cracked some time ago already?
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

Yeah I doubt its going to be a problem for long. Both BluRay and HD-DVD have been cracked already too.

But again: Offtopic and nothing to do with OpenTTD :)
goldberg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by goldberg »

Thats not the point. I dont want to hack or whatever. This makes me a criminal.

And the problem is not that Vista requires some special features to achieve content protection. The problem is that _everybody_, even those who never used M$ products will have to pay a lot of money because of that. And soon you may face a choice - either you use a M$ certified hardware (and that costs a lot: new hardware, mess with drivers, etc.) or become a criminal.
Remember, all costs are always passed on to customers.

PS. AFAIK AACS has not been cracked yet. (Although it is possible to exploit player and get the keys. But still, it is not a flaw in AACS)
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

Open up a topic about that in the off-topic forum.

Lets keep this thread to OpenTTD and Windows Vista, not about whether Vista sucks or rulez.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Interesting Creative article: http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs ... ge.id=1694

I'm coding a DirectSound driver for OpenTTD, once it's in a usable state I'll give you vista guys a binary to see if it helps anything.
edwardvdv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by edwardvdv »

Thank you Darkvater for your (on-topic :wink:) reply, we appreciate it. I will be watching this topic and test the DirectSound driver as soon as you've coded it.

Cheers!
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

Darkvater wrote:Interesting Creative article: http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs ... ge.id=1694

I'm coding a DirectSound driver for OpenTTD, once it's in a usable state I'll give you vista guys a binary to see if it helps anything.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks :) I'll gladly try it. I now have my (legal) Ultimate Edition, and I love Vista so far.

I am actually running the 64bit version of OpenTTD now, but both 32bit and 64bit versions work the same way - choppy.

I'm hoping the directsound driver will fix it :)
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

Hmm, wouldn't be OpenAL the way to go then, instead of DirectSound?
Or am I missing something?
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I haven't had time to finish the directsound driver, but it should work. This is an executable from trunk/ donnu exactly which revision ;p and includes some other changes. So it is only for testing 32bit windows.

In my tests the DirectSound driver consumed more CPU than the win32 driver (running vmware and spamming the 'pause' button to get sounds), but it could be me of course who can't code a proper DirectSound driver ;p.

Tell me how it works, I'll be back next week.

@Frostregen: Donnu about OpenAL but don't you need additional libraries for that?
Attachments
openttd_directsound.rar
just extract and overwrite binary+english.lng files. Will only work on Win2k+ donnu what directx version ;p (I used 9)
(639.68 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
edwardvdv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by edwardvdv »

You're blazing fast!!!

It seems to work perfectly, thanks for your efforts! :D
I'll be playing all night and post more extensive results in the morning.

(32-bit OpenTTD @ Windows Vista Business 64-bit with Realtek AC97 chipset)
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

Thanks :) I am at work at the moment, but I will test it tonight when I get home.
edwardvdv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by edwardvdv »

Still going strong :)
The game is much more fun when played with "unchoppy" sound...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”