road breakes :(

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: road breakes :(

Post by Pyoro »

Wow, people were pretty passive-aggressive (to outright rude) back in those days. Tsk tsk.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:Wow, people were pretty passive-aggressive (to outright rude) back in those days. Tsk tsk.
They certainly were. Now we're all lovely... unless we're in a bad mood! I do wonder what the obsession with digging old topics up at the moment is however, really amusing to see things from 5/10 years ago pop up again! :lol:
SugarySnax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SugarySnax »

I didn't have a computer when the game first came out. This is my first month playing it. Probably some of those people I've been reading have almost doubled their age since they made their posts.

I finally took over that AI. It became an all consuming mission, my white whale.

After hours of destroying their cars with trains specifically designed for just that purpose, they started getting richer. They went from half a billion to 4.5 billion and it enraged me. I built statues of me near their most prosperous airports and I bought exclusive rights. Both these things are expensive and didn't have that much impact. I started destroying all the cities around their airports and going back and destroying them again. While doing this I finally figured out that if I held down the mouse button on stations or finances or whatever, I could look at their stuff in detail. In stations I could find the airports that had the most cargo waiting so I wrecked the cities around them. They lost 800,000,000 in one year and had bad years after that. I sent every one of my vehicles to depots and then sold all of them off thinking that I might be able to buy the hated AI off sooner as there wouldn't be too many vehicles in game but it didn't work that way. Even when I sold off about 300 of my vehicles and wrecked 600 of theirs, the game still wouldn't let me buy that last 25% of their company.

Eventually, their balance went in the red and that's when I could buy them. I bought a large number of huge airports surrounded by nothing and stranded trucks and buses all over the place. There are statues of me in big empty fields all over the place. I would have liked to take their airports and huge cities intact but I haven't figured that out yet. My income went from about 400 million a year to 100 million a year because destroying cities is expensive. I still ended up with over 19 billion dollars.

Does the game always deny you the ability to buy certain AI or is it just a matter of setting the vehicle limits high enough before starting the game?
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Just out of curiosity, which poor AI did you go through all that just to make their life miserable? That is assuming you're using a downloaded NoAI in modern OpenTTD as opposed to old OpenTTD versions or vanilla TTDX with the old vanilla AI, of course.
SugarySnax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SugarySnax »

Which AI? As in what was their name? I think it was Tandean or something.

This time I'm playing a smaller map, 1000 X 500 or so. I added another AI and managed to get 75% of the first three and buy them out, which gave me a huge empire and lots of money but even though I've upped the max number of road vehicles to more than quadruple the original settings, I can't buy even 25% of the next AI. I'm going through all my new trucks and buses and taking out the full load orders because it jams up stations but I really should be deleting them in mass so that I can buy out the new AIs. I guess this is a bad way to play as that's all I'll be doing - buying things up and deleting vehicles so I can buy more things up. I guess I could set up more smasher trains, but they're not fast enough yet. I can see why people don't like the AI much.

I wish there was a way to change all orders on all vehicles from "full load" to "load if available"? That would be very useful when playing against multiple AI that love buying hundreds of vehicles.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”