A more realistic setup problem

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SuedKAT
Engineer
Engineer

A more realistic setup problem

Post by SuedKAT »

Hello,

I've played TTD and OpenTTD for ages, it's always been great fun and I've always managed to build great stuff. However this time I thought I'd try a more realistic approach, this caused a couple problems for me, since I usually don't design or care about my setups in this way.

My map is built around large islands and I like to consider one large island a "cluster" so to speak that have it's own contained system and they should just be accessible by either air or sea. Most islands got several cities in "close" proximity to each other at a couple locations, so they will share a major airport somewhat in the middle. Each city have buses/trucks and/or trams transferring passengers and mail to a metro line and a mail hub that than transfer this to the airport.

These airport hubs on each island are connected to each other via the fastest at the moment available track, so if anyone want to go from the "south" hub to the "north" hub they can, but if they want off the island they can take a plane (or a boat in some situations) going to some other island.

This works great, however now my problems start, since if you arrive at one of these hubs you obviously want to go to one of the cities in it's proximity, the ones that currently are transferring all their passengers and mail to the airport hub. With some tweaks my current setup can work for this, they can easily move the passengers and mail from the hub and out to the cities they service, however this empties the hub from passengers and mail so now my planes and the "main line" going between these hubs don't have passengers and mail to pick up and they don't serve any particular reason for existing in the first place.

So to break it down, I got a hub that's being serviced by cities in it's proximity, if the passenger and mail that arrives at this hub wants to go to another hub that's ok. But how do I setup up a system that takes it the reverse way without also emptying the hub from the passengers and mail that should be going from hub to hub?

Is there any good way around this, is there any way to make it behave in a more realistic way?

// SuedKAT
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A more realistic setup problem

Post by Eddi »

sounds like you should enable cargodist, instead of using transfer orders
SuedKAT
Engineer
Engineer

Re: A more realistic setup problem

Post by SuedKAT »

Ahh seems to be exactly what I was looking for, had a look at the wiki and now it seems to be working exactly like I wanted it to. Time to build stuff! Huge thanks :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”