If there was a Locomotion 2, what would it have?

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

griffinrails
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

If there was a Locomotion 2, what would it have?

Post by griffinrails »

Basically this is a thread about features you wish could be in Locomotion if there was ever a sequel. I would probably wish for curved level crossings and maybe monorails. Perhaps some broad/metre gauge trains for an Indian style region? The trains there are very unique and diverse, especially with all the roof riding. Maybe the metre gauge trains could be compatible with the standard ones since the size of the track is quite similar? Perhaps special industry loaders such as for ores with the train slowly going through the loader/unloader?

I'd love to hear your ideas. :)
= STEAM TRAM viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87037 =+= CITY AND COUNTRY USA viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87054 =+= MAILCAR PATCH viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87071 =+= THE DECLINE viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87127 =+= NEW STATIONS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87191=+= DISTANT SIGNALS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87206 =+= AUSSIE LEVEL CROSSING viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87364 =+= BROAD GAUGE FOR LOCOMOTION viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87336 =+= OMNIBUS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=88862 =

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZYvWn ... T3EdQqUlKw
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: If there was a Locomotion 2, what would it have?

Post by Zakos »

I would want official support for the LSP, quicker loads for extra long trains, and the obvious increase of the vehicles limit. Assuming it'd be built on the same foundation, I'd also want a lot more as far as American engines in the base game.

Obviously though, this is all a pipe dream outside of OpenLoco, as the only thing CS has done with Locomotion was rebrand it and adapt it for iOS and Android.
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

I sense a a mob of fans storming CS's house, threatening him do do more with this game! :lol:

Honestly, I'm down for that
Mac OS sucks.

......If Locomotion can't work on it......

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87176 : Let's Play Together! US Midwest!

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

For the mob? The man gave us several great titles, let him rest.
Lighthouse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: ´s-Hertogenbosch (AKA "The Duke´s Forest") , the Netherlands

Post by Lighthouse »

I wonder if CS is lurking here and secretly is downloading/playing withthings like the LSP patch or the plastikman (and others) downloads, that would be cool!
The only thing that is not very successful in the wireless version : Bungee Jumping 8o
Just fold at the dotted line and cut it out with a pair of scissors. If you are under the age of 16 please ask one of your parents or an adult supervisor if she/he can help you.
Image........................................................................................
ImageImage
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

Zakos wrote: 29 Apr 2020 18:15 For the mob? The man gave us several great titles, let him rest.
I suppose you're right. I meant that somewhat as a joke. sorry.

Obviously, if there were to be a Lomo 2, keep the Pixelated graphics, but enhance them by making the sprites more defined, if you get what I mean. Essentially adding more pixels to the sprites so that it keeps the nostalgic look, but doesn't look too modern. I'm not sure if I'm using proper terminology here, so If I'm not, feel free to correct me.

Of course, the vehicle limit could be increased, Bigger maps, better AI would only add to the factor. As well as a way to Copy/Paste routes like in the new Locomotion (Transport Tycoon) On mobile.

More regions would be nice too, and more trains for the American regions. I've made a list of what a proper North American trains list would look like.

North American Trains List | Total: 22

Special 2-4-2 (Steam) (Renamed to Columbia (2-4-2)) D: 1890 O: 1920
Mogul (2-6-0) (Steam) D: 1906 O: 1927
Baldwin (2-8-0) (Steam) D: 1910 O: 1930
Doodlebug (Railcar) (Diesel) D:1917 O: 1930
USRA Mikado (2-8-2) (Steam) D: 1918 O: 1945
USRA Pacific (4-6-2) (Steam) D: 1924 O: 1940
Northern (4-8-4) (Steam) D:1930 O: 1950
GG-1 (Electric) D: 1937 O: 1980
F-7A (Diesel) (With F-7B units that can be added as well, for extra power) D: 1949 O: 1975
GP-9 (Diesel) D: 1954 O: 1980
GP30 (Diesel) D: 1960 O: 1985
RDC (Railcar) (Diesel) D: 1962 O: 1980
GP38 (Diesel) D: 1965 O: 1995
SD40-2 (Diesel) D: 1970 O: 2010
Metroliner (Railcar) (Electric) D: 1971 O: 1990
F40PH (Diesel) D:1975 O: 1995
AEM-7 (Electric) D: 1978 O: 2002
B40 - 8 (Diesel) D: 1988 O: [Never]
P42DC (Diesel) D: 1992 O: [Never]
SD70Ace (Diesel) D: 1992 O: [Never]
Acela (EMU) D: 2000 O: [Never]
ES44AC (Diesel) D: 2003 O: [Never]

Other Regions:
Japan
Germany
Mac OS sucks.

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

This would probably be one of the few titles I'd be willing to grab DLC for. I imagine CS would do other regions as additional packs.

Also a UP Northern in company colors makes me giddy.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Hi all. You may wish to read this... viewtopic.php?f=30&t=72156&p=1139502#p1139502

There are some interesting comments made by other members on this subject. I too would consider buying this updated version, if it comes to pass.
I still feel that it would disadvantage some players if the graphics were upgraded because it may be difficult for them to acquire a suitable computer. However, situations change as time passes, so perhaps this wouldn't be so much an issue.

I would like to see some changes. Although I still play Locomotion, it is outdated but still enjoyable. I would like to see vehicles, infrastructure etc from other countries that are not included in the current game. (to much emphasis on american trains).
I appreciate other peoples ideas/suggestions, as we are all different and discussions like this not only contribute to the forums but the game itself.

I hope Chris Sawyer views our posts and consider the possibilities of progressing Locomotion.

Good luck to all contributors.
These are my thoughts.....cheers.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I wouldn't really worry about graphics being too much for anyone's old system. If the new adaptation were smart, it would be made in the same 2-D isometric style as the original. I'm sure CS noticed that RCT2 just being an upgrade of the original but retaining the same graphics and UI was what led to it becoming more popular than RCT3. And if you're still running an old XP (which could run all of the above anyway), you'd be used to things being slow at this point.

Though again, it's a pipe dream. The man did a good job, and he gets to chill now.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

@Zakos.....Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree somewhat, but larger maps could still be an issue. Fortunately I have a high-end computer, but others don't. I can't comment on RCT, as I never played it.

If this eventuates, I just hope the current mods available would be compatible. That in itself could open up other issues. It would be a shame to make the current mods obsolete.

Raising the vehicle limit could also cause problems as this too would use up more computer resources than an older computer can handle.
Anyhow, time will tell if we get a Locomotion 2.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

But if the graphics were kept the same, would that be a problem? I think most computers these days can handle the blocky graphics of lomo.
Mac OS sucks.

Lighthouse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: ´s-Hertogenbosch (AKA "The Duke´s Forest") , the Netherlands

Post by Lighthouse »

Blocky game, thats the charm of the game.
The only thing that is not very successful in the wireless version : Bungee Jumping 8o
Just fold at the dotted line and cut it out with a pair of scissors. If you are under the age of 16 please ask one of your parents or an adult supervisor if she/he can help you.
Image........................................................................................
ImageImage
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

Indeed it is, I love it! 8)
Mac OS sucks.

Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Greyfox wrote: 05 May 2020 06:47I can't comment on RCT, as I never played it.
I've never had a machine that couldn't handle either of the original RCT titles. For a comparison to a theoretical new title, I'd look at OpenRCT, which I haven't tried on any old-gen PCs.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Greyfox wrote: 05 May 2020 06:47 @Zakos.....Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree somewhat, but larger maps could still be an issue. Fortunately I have a high-end computer, but others don't. I can't comment on RCT, as I never played it.

If this eventuates, I just hope the current mods available would be compatible. That in itself could open up other issues. It would be a shame to make the current mods obsolete.

Raising the vehicle limit could also cause problems as this too would use up more computer resources than an older computer can handle.
Anyhow, time will tell if we get a Locomotion 2.
Since RAM is dynamically allocated ( malloc(); ), PCs with less RAM can play scenarios with the current size. This is not a problem. Maybe allowing more vehicles can increase the memory usage, but not so much, doubling the RAM usage the number of vehicles and objects can be squared (~256 -> ~65536). The biggest problem is that this need a new map structure.

About an hypothetical Locomotion 2 I would like to have longer DMUs/EMUs, livery selection, reversible trains instead of 180º turns (DMUs and EMUs), locomotives with three boogies, more load types in wagons, and gearing options, but this needs a new DAT file format. Also it would be awesome to have more track pieces, specially smoother curves, but this depends on a new map structure and new sprites for them.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
bikitdi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bikitdi »

How about a view/build view that's filtered by a certain height (range) layers?
Say if you choose a range of -8-0m then anything else can be hidden or shown in transparent and you won't accidentally demolish other stuff above/below?
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Open RTC already has that, you can clip a region and limit the representation to a certain height.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “General Locomotion”