Old or New

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Greeny
Engineer
Engineer

Old or New

Post by Greeny »

When they were making TT2 they stubled over Roller Coster tycoon but Did they dump the TT2 or did they use it to make locomotion?
JamesM
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JamesM »

The TT2 engine became rollercoaster tycoon. That engine then became RCT2 and now Locomotion. So basically with many improvements and additions, locomotion will be based on that TT2 game he started work on all those years ago.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

the engine was barely improved for RCT 2, just some interface additions and some removals of features (like research upgrades)
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

But you don't know that for sure, since you have only seen screenshot from an alpha version, not a release candidate ;)
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
JamesM
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JamesM »

Ah but Bart, it's fun to make assumptions and criticise the sequal to the best ever transport game for no apparent reason. :)
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

But why? Every so-called sequel to the best game ever doesn't even stand a chance... :D

(even more if you see what a failure Transport Giant is...)
CZAR ALEKSANDER
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

rude remarks about a game that some people have not played

Post by CZAR ALEKSANDER »

hello the people of the wrold:

I see that someone is already knocking a game that has not been released where this person lives at. I will state one thing I have every game done by Jowood that has the name of Giant in it as for the new game I like it very much and I have the German version of course. I know how other people put down games because they may not like.
in my own mind I think that Locomotion is a huge disaster waiting to happen.

thank you

Lady of Avalon
:D :) :shock:
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

JamesM wrote:The TT2 engine became rollercoaster tycoon. That engine then became RCT2 and now Locomotion. So basically with many improvements and additions, locomotion will be based on that TT2 game he started work on all those years ago.
And the TT2 engine is really just a hyped up version of the TT engine, so the circle is complete now :)

Born Acorn wrote:just some interface additions and some removals of features (like research upgrades)
Hmm I thought that screen was still there??
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: rude remarks about a game that some people have not play

Post by Bart »

CZAR ALEKSANDER wrote:hello the people of the wrold:

I see that someone is already knocking a game that has not been released where this person lives at. I will state one thing I have every game done by Jowood that has the name of Giant in it as for the new game I like it very much and I have the German version of course. I know how other people put down games because they may not like.
in my own mind I think that Locomotion is a huge disaster waiting to happen.

thank you

Lady of Avalon
:D :) :shock:
That was me dude :roll: :wink:

Anyways, I played the demo, and that's how I judge games. If this is how Jowood wants people to see how the game really is, I would say it sucks...

As for Locomotion; you're probably right, but let's hope for the best, as this is actually a said-to-be succesor :)
Da_Imp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Da_Imp »

Bart wrote:But why? Every so-called sequel to the best game ever doesn't even stand a chance... :D

(even more if you see what a failure Transport Giant is...)
Nah gotta disagree on you on that point. Transport Giant isn't that much of a failure. Its just that people have high hopes for that game and it doesnt meet up to their standards. TTDX is hard to beat face it but that doesn't make other less succesful games bad. Of course if thats your opinion there aint much I can do about it :D At least give the 2nd demo a shot, which should be around in 2 weeks time.

Furthermore people judge Locomotion far too fast. It may not stress your video card at all but perhaps the gameplay really rocks and nobody would care. I mean, you guys still play TTDX even though the graphics are rock-old.

Lets just hope they'd improve the gfx a bit in the remaining 2 moths :D
Carpe Noctum
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Transport Gigant isn't a TTD sequel...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

gonewacko, all the rides in rct2 came with the improvements already installed so you couldn't research upgrades.

Shame really

Locomotion will be an amazing game as the rct engine is actually a great thing.

Really I just want all the objects smoothed out, don't care about the colours.
Da_Imp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Da_Imp »

eis_os wrote:Transport Gigant isn't a TTD sequel...
My words exactly :)
Carpe Noctum
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

Da_Imp wrote:
eis_os wrote:Transport Gigant isn't a TTD sequel...
My words exactly :)
oh yeag... but it has no failure.. just sum bugs and downtimes easily fixed with patch... the other + with transport giant is u start at 1850... missing featurein ttd thats bugs me out...
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

TTD is TEN years old, and for me 1921-2070 or was it 1921-2050 with TTDpatch is enough, and without 1950-2050 is enough to.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I'm straying away from TG, since its too German/Austrian trainwise, as the trains aren't available yet and in 1850 in Britain, a rail network was already in place. Everything is imbalanced and yet the USA get a whole scenario dedicated to them.
Mystic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mystic »

I tried the demo for Transport Giant. It's pretty good. But I have to admit that I was one of those people whose hopes were set too high for a modern type version of Transport Tycoon, and was let down to find out that the game wasn't more like Transport Tycoon, even though it's not supposed to be...

I must say the horses and carriage options were a nice change in this game. I'll probably get the full version when it gets released to get the full effect before I pass any judgement.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is probably one of, if not the best game that I've ever played; and this also includes SimCity. I play TTDX more often than the original SimCity, which I haven't played in months, but TTDX I played just recently. And I'll probably play again this evening. (It sure helped me get through those computer classes on the old 486's we used to take notes last year, but I used it for other purposes as well, such as a nice game of TTDX! ;) ... 3-4 hours/day for 6 months, and I made a huge transportation network, probably one of my best efforts, and all of this while class was on. :roll:
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

1921 istn enuff...1950 is totally boredom... i like more a loooooong game... and 200 years make me fell sweet.
beside i dislike ttd... i prefer tto.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Gurluas2000 I wonder what has got TTO that TTD does not have :roll:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

crappy signalling, and greener grass >_>
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Return to “General Locomotion”