How long should I make my trains?

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Peashooter26
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peashooter26 »

Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How long should I make my trains?

Post by Zakos »

Depends on what you need. If the place produces a normal amount, then don't overdo it. If its output is too much to handle, then either make longer trains or place more of them on the same track. Note that if the trains are very long, you may need 2 or 3 engines.

A normal length for me is 10 wagons and 1 engine.
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Re: How long should I make my trains?

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Peashooter26 wrote:How long should I make my trains?

That depends on the game, recently I have been playing Wheat Lake No Mod and for that I've run 30+ grain cars and three U33B's which is getting close to the grain shuttles the CRI&P ran at one stage, it's about horses for courses because it is not only the industry's output that determines your profitability in that train weight is a factor in costs as the more locomotives you have increases costs, as does grades or low speed bridges or even track curvature.
The aim is to make money because without that you can go bankrupt in the tougher challenges, so in reality you work to what you think is an acceptable number of cars and in some cases the geography will be a constraining factor where the ability to spot a passing track might require a major cost in bridge work or even landscaping, that has to be figured out as whether the cost at the start is bearable or whether you have to rebuild parts of the line at a later date when you do have more money.

Return to “General Locomotion”