Transport Viability

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Mark26
Engineer
Engineer

Transport Viability

Post by Mark26 »

I think it would be interesting to see a bit more depth in the Financial side of Locomotion. Eg. Having a maintence budget for your network where you can ultimately provide a certain portion of your profit to maintaining rail lines. Also something along the lines of every town that you connect to would have a transport budget, where it would be possible to see you know how much a town could provide to you in the way of $$$.

Other things could be... That could be covered:

Maintence of all Transport Vehicles - I guess that comes in the Running Costs. But other factors like. Graffiti, Vandalism, Fare Evasion. Employee Strikes at Stations (More Money for Employees who work at Busy Terminals)

Stuff like that.

Just a idea.

Cheers

Mark
JamesM
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JamesM »

Yep all good ideas.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

In my opinion, one of the best things about TTD is the simplicity of the financial side of the game. The only thing you really have to do is take out and repay loans. It's also very easy to make money.

The more complex financial model in Railroad Tycoon II was one of the things that put me off it.

There's a learning curve with all games, but in TTD you don't need to know about shares or anything like that. I think TTD has one of the easiest learning curves of any game.

As long as the user doesn't see all these costs itemised (ie just a total) and it doesn't affect how easy it is to make money, then I think it's okay to have the game work out those values and factor them in.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

In Railroad Tycoon II you can select the complexity of the economic model, maybe this is an idea for locomotion too. So people can select if they want a simple economic model like TT or a complex model lik RRT.
Mark26
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mark26 »

dominionspy wrote:In my opinion, one of the best things about TTD is the simplicity of the financial side of the game. The only thing you really have to do is take out and repay loans. It's also very easy to make money.

The more complex financial model in Railroad Tycoon II was one of the things that put me off it.

There's a learning curve with all games, but in TTD you don't need to know about shares or anything like that. I think TTD has one of the easiest learning curves of any game.

As long as the user doesn't see all these costs itemised (ie just a total) and it doesn't affect how easy it is to make money, then I think it's okay to have the game work out those values and factor them in.
I do agree in that matter. But it would just be a little more challenging. I would think something a bit like in Simcity 4 something thats easy to control but gives you a bit of flexibility.

Like when things are too complex I would agree with you it turns me off. But yeah it would be nice to have it easier.

Cheers

Mark
OBrown
Engineer
Engineer

Well, this IS an "idea" thread...

Post by OBrown »

Mark26 wrote:Other things could be... That could be covered:

Maintence of all Transport Vehicles - I guess that comes in the Running Costs. But other factors like. Graffiti, Vandalism, Fare Evasion. Employee Strikes at Stations (More Money for Employees who work at Busy Terminals)

Hmm, about that, if not going off on a little tangent.... anyway, a neat thing to see would be "decals" on the cars and other motorized things... one variety you chose yourself, via a menu, to put a company logo on your cars. The other, graffiti, appears as your vehicles get older, unless you spend enough for "Running Costs" to get rid of it.. so you could have "(Foo) Transport, Ltd." on the side of your vehicles, but on top of that some random discoloration representing graffiti.

Thoughts?
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Re: Well, this IS an "idea" thread...

Post by ChrisCF »

OBrown wrote:one variety you chose yourself, via a menu, to put a company logo on your cars.
BR Large Logo, anyone? :D
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Well, this IS an "idea" thread...

Post by DominionSpy »

ChrisCF wrote:BR Large Logo, anyone? :D
Boy, I really love that logo - shame it's not used very often now :(
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

CS said in an interview that Locomotion would be easier than TTD.
So I doubt your ideas would make it in there. :o
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.

Return to “General Locomotion”