Amateur or Retro

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Austinmario13
Engineer
Engineer

Amateur or Retro

Post by Austinmario13 »

When I play Locomotion, I tend to build just like the CPU's, just at a faster pace. Am I playing like an amateur or retro gamer?
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Amateur or Retro

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

I think like an amateur...The AI from the computergame acts like a complete retard and that's why I never play games with that dumb AI (no offense to you AustinMario :wink: )
Austinmario13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Austinmario13 »

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:I think like an amateur...The AI from the computergame acts like a complete retard and that's why I never play games with that dumb AI (no offense to you AustinMario :wink: )
The reason I do that is because using more than two rails for one transport looks weird and overpowered. Is there a mod that makes the AI harder or is that too hard-coded?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I wouldn't quite say you're an amateur. I used to make single-track layouts, supporting only one train going back and forth.

However, there's a lot of room for improvement. If you're looking to make two-way layouts, the best you can possibly do is a RoRo layout with double stations. Otherwise, you're going to want to use the same track for multiple lines. It may seem counterproductive, but if you have massive trains then it's easy to maintain because there aren't many trains moving at any given time; they're all loading up.
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:I think like an amateur...The AI from the computergame acts like a complete retard and that's why I never play games with that dumb AI (no offense to you AustinMario :wink: )
The AI is a complete waste of time, it does what you can't and expects you to work around it when that happens, sorry I prefer to make my landscapes harder and to raise the level of the game to match making it harder to make money.

In every scenario I have ever created, I have turned the AI off and played against myself by continually updating my tracks, signalling and infrastructure. I attempt to play like it is truly my railroad and it's a process of improvement to create longer stations, better turnouts and longer passing points, the aim is to start small and run longer and heavier trains just like you would if you owned the property
Cecil Cityscape
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cecil Cityscape »

Austinmario13, i dont think u play like an amateur. Everyone has a different play style. The ai is good at making trains (kinda). I just dont see the point of a central network. It is costly and complicated and in most cases, isolated single and double track routes, are easy cheap and lucrative, even more than a central network. In many competative scenarios, i use the ai style and i can get to 70% in 10 years and 90% in a few more.
Cecil Cityscape is the name of an avatar in Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Cheers from the Dominion of Canada! :lol: 8)
C3805.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by C3805. »

uktrackbuilder_loco wrote:
The AI is a complete waste of time, it does what you can't and expects you to work around it when that happens, sorry I prefer to make my landscapes harder and to raise the level of the game to match making it harder to make money.

In every scenario I have ever created, I have turned the AI off and played against myself by continually updating my tracks, signalling and infrastructure. I attempt to play like it is truly my railroad and it's a process of improvement to create longer stations, better turnouts and longer passing points, the aim is to start small and run longer and heavier trains just like you would if you owned the property
This guy gets it

I like to build to a realistic standard, I look at my scenario as if it were a model railroad with a prototype, and I detail it as such.
But the good thing about Locomotion is that there is more than one method to play it.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Like any other simulation game, really :P

I like to build as realistically as possible when mods are involved, building a few wide stretches of track and routing many of them through it.

Return to “General Locomotion”