Loconmotion 2

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Locomotion 2?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 45

PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Loconmotion 2

Post by PhiliThunder »

Who wants locomotion 2.
I want :o :) :D Great game but could have some fixes.
Sorry locomotion 2 not loconmotion 2 at the topic :o
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Re: Loconmotion 2

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Sadly your poll is academic as Atari and it's successors still own the rights to the game and while it still sells they probably will not make it open license and more pertinently CS is not interested in creating a follow up to it due to unspecified issues between himself and Atari.
It's been debated before and while this game has bugs in it and some issues primarily with the AI, it is not likely to be adapted ot redone as it is now a decade since's it's original release and the market for this form of interest is now primarily concerned with 3D simulations such as Trainz or the equivalent for buses.
But good luck if you think you can do it, but just don't strip out the coding from Locomotion and adapt that thinking people won't notice what you have done because they will notice
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Hmm i tought something like that. I still enjoy playing the original :D

I will maybe make something like that in the future :D

Just asked if people wanted it
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I don't know if Atari still owns the full rights to the "Locomotion" IP. Chris Sawyer's relaunch of Transport Tycoon on iOS and Android uses the "Transport Tycoon" name, but the graphics and gameplay are exactly the same as Locomotion. There's not been any discussion of relaunching either title on PCs. An updated version of either title on either Steam or Origin would probably go over well with fans.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Closest it gets is Factorio (very familiar train building) and Train Fever (very familiar everything else).

As for a true successor by Chris, I wouldn't put my money on that. It's not about legal stuff, from the 20th anniversary interview it's obvious he's done with Transport Tycoon. Might happen that a third party makes a PC sequel (just like a third party made an iOS "sequel"), but a real CS game? Nope.

To me Transport Tycoon IP is pretty much done and finished. The main game is opensource cloned and still going strong, the other one won't be that way for a loooooong time (60 years or so till Atari loses it or something?), it inspired many knockoffs (seriously play Factorio it's fun). I think despite the whole "TT is kill" thing we're pretty good.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

@Everybody:

Locomotion 2 ?........I would have thought that we already have it. Consider all of the additions that have been created to enhance the game. Members, such as Zimmlock, EDS, Plasticman, and plenty of others, who have created vehicles/buildings/maps/scenarios/mods, and such like to improve game play and the appearance of the game.

Good luck to anybody that wants to enhance the game further, but I hope they are not thinking of "improving" the graphics. IMHO I think that it is OK the way it is. Besides, if people are using even mid end computers, might have a problem running Locomotion. Also, including bigger maps in the game would decrease performance.

Still, it is an interesting idea, and I wish those that wish to go ahead with this project the very best of luck.

These are my thoughts.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Greyfox wrote:@Everybody:

Locomotion 2 ?........I would have thought that we already have it. Consider all of the additions that have been created to enhance the game. Members, such as Zimmlock, EDS, Plasticman, and plenty of others, who have created vehicles/buildings/maps/scenarios/mods, and such like to improve game play and the appearance of the game.

Good luck to anybody that wants to enhance the game further, but I hope they are not thinking of "improving" the graphics. IMHO I think that it is OK the way it is. Besides, if people are using even mid end computers, might have a problem running Locomotion. Also, including bigger maps in the game would decrease performance.

Still, it is an interesting idea, and I wish those that wish to go ahead with this project the very best of luck.

These are my thoughts.
Agree with you no need for better graphics.
glenjimen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by glenjimen »

I think the closest thing we will ever see to Locomotion2 is what smallfly is working on, it's called P1SIM. It's even of this forum! See the link in my signature.

I'll just say, the reason it's in my signature is NOT because I have any affiliation with smallfly or P1SIM, I just think it's cool. Also I was hopping to attract some Locomotion players who may be looking for an updated version of the game, while at the same time avoiding the creation of topics like this.
Visit the Directory --> Loco-Dat-Directory
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

I don't see any problem with creating a topic such as this. All the creator of this topic wanted was to ask if members wanted to see Locomotion 2, nothing else. As I have already stated, good luck to anybody that wishes to go ahead with the project. As for P1SIM, it would be a little unfair to comment on that at the moment, as it is nowhere near finished.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

PhiliThunder wrote:Who wants locomotion 2.
I want :o :) :D Great game but could have some fixes.
Sorry locomotion 2 not loconmotion 2 at the topic :o
IMHO the best way to get a "Locomotion 2" is creating a fork of this project:
http://www.freerct.org/

The reason is that Locomotion shares it's code with RCT.

You can mix the Free RCT code (landscape, graphics engine, GUI...) and the OpenTTD code (Pathfinding, vehicles, houses & cities, trees...).

I think that this is the best way.

The first step should be a window with a empty landscape, loading the grass tiles. It could be done using the free RCT code and striping the code for guests, rides... Only landscape, file loader, graphics engine, main code...

Remember that Free RCT uses 24 bbp graphics, maybe you prefer 8 bpp, so You need to modify that. IMHO 8 bpp is better in sprite based graphics.

I tried to create a small game from scratch, but... It's very difficult for me. Maybe I could try to add more code in the future.

I can't help you with de code, I'm not a very good coder, but I can try to provide some graphics like houses, stations, roads...
Attachments
Screenshot with roads, trams, overhead wires, trees and fences.
Screenshot with roads, trams, overhead wires, trees and fences.
fichero40.png (50.29 KiB) Viewed 13406 times
Second screenshot with trees, roads and water.
Second screenshot with trees, roads and water.
fichero34.png (81 KiB) Viewed 13406 times
Locomotion screenshot with a small station and some station tiles.
Locomotion screenshot with a small station and some station tiles.
Screenshot12.PNG (64.7 KiB) Viewed 13402 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I've already seen plenty of high-hopes topics like this one. To sum up a few preceding posts, the closest we'll ever really get is the repackaged "Transport Tycoon" for mobile platforms.

Locomotion was fairly well-received by diehard CS fans, but any expansion on the transportation-based game series of his is probably out of the question.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

The least he could do though is somewhat of a "LoMo: Revised". All I want out of LoMo that isn't there is better modding capabilities. As in no sort of limits for map size or item amounts in scenario editor et cetera... Other than that and I think it is a pretty fufilling game (There could be more locomotives though as I build super slowly and then I spend ages planning, so it's fairly boring when I'm not constructing. I'm certainly no master of the mainlines like some other people!)
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real? - Jaden Smith 2014
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Greyfox wrote:As for P1SIM, it would be a little unfair to comment on that at the moment, as it is nowhere near finished.
I am kind off used to play Locomotion, I wouldn't wan't anything else...If a new game comes out you don't have all of the extra mods created by truly loyal fans of Locomotion...It will take years to make it with so many mods as with locomotion. Then there's the price...I know the game is still in development, but it doesn't even come close to Locomotion at the moment, and they ask €9,99 for a alpha-version ? The Locomotion-Demo was free when it came out...!!

So no, I do not have any interest in this game...I'll just stick with locomotion and release some new stuff for some of my mods every now and then...I even might go as far to rebuild my NAM-mod and re-release that to the public :roll: IF, and only IF I could find the time to get it done...
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

@maquinista

The first two screenshots look very good and they impressed me a lot. You're not as bad coder as you think if you came this way long even if you were using a framework for that :)
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

doxlulzem wrote:The least he could do though is somewhat of a "LoMo: Revised". All I want out of LoMo that isn't there is better modding capabilities. As in no sort of limits for map size or item amounts in scenario editor et cetera...
Those are some of the things that I would like to as well if Chris Sawyer would ever make such a version of Locomotion. Same game, just a little bit better...With the possibility to make bigger maps, a better AI and to get rid of some game-limits like the number of vehicles, longer stations and more industries (and cargo's) to choose in one single game. Other then those things, the game must stay as it is...
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Yes there is things that could have been better for example i would actually like some more standard no mod vehicles, because somewhere there is really big gaps between new vehicles. And i would like it to be like OpenTTD where it actually goes all the way to our present and a little into the future LoMo kinda stops at around 2006 even though you can play for longer.And same the other way 1900 is the lowest in years u can go. I could like some earlier ages.

Then yea bigger maps and tweaks around, better multiplayer/online and stuff.

One reason why i like Loco game better than OpenTTD even with these worse things are the graphics. They could still be alittle better, bu thinking of OpenTTD they're actually perfect, but that's just one reason i have several other small things that i just love :)
ChrisMatic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ChrisMatic »

I think a Locomotion 2 would be a great idea. I bet there's still people out there who would play it, myself included.
Regards,

Chris S.
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

ChrisMatic wrote:I think a Locomotion 2 would be a great idea. I bet there's still people out there who would play it, myself included.
Yes i would buy it for like whatever (almost XD) as the 14 year old i am... At least if i knew it wasnt really bad for some reason.

Return to “General Locomotion”