Mainline Difficulties

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Mainline Difficulties

Post by doxlulzem »

Am I the only one, or is it significantly harder to set up a mainline in Locomotion than in TTD?
In TTD you take out a max loan, draw 2 straight lines next to each other with track, loop the ends, draw some one way signals and hook industry feeders up. However I've never quite been able to do that sort of thing in Locomotion. Ever. I have a plan for it but I just cant seem to do it. Am I just being a noob?
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real? - Jaden Smith 2014
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Mainline Difficulties

Post by doxlulzem »

(Sorry for bumping)
Also, how do you even make a mainline on Locomotion? Do you join tracks together or do you make a purpose built line?
Plus, I know you can just use waypoints to create slow and fast lanes, but is there some sort of patch to make priority junctions (ones that give right of way to the line they're joining) and speed limits (like "trains have to go 90-120kph on a certain stretch of track and ones that are slower go on the other lane which is 60-90kph" sort of thing)?
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I know that it's a bit harder, but the fact that it takes longer to pay back loans and establish a company makes it more realistic IMO.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

Don't get me wrong, I like the economy vs TTD. But it somewhat seems harder to set up a mainline than TTD.
Also, besides reskinning signals, is there a way to mod different things in the game? I knowa lot of stuff in LoMo is hardcoded and can't be modded.
Mystic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mystic »

doxlulzem wrote:Also, besides reskinning signals, is there a way to mod different things in the game? I knowa lot of stuff in LoMo is hardcoded and can't be modded.
I don't know if this still exists, or if it's allowed to discuss, but about a decade ago there was a trainer that allowed unlimited money, reliability and modified various settings. I'm planning on reinstalling Locomotion and looking for it now so I can have locomotives that don't get old and force me to constantly replace them.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

I don't have ones with reliability (UK Steam, BR Set, Paasky's Aircraft) but that unlim money one sounds good. I have the one off of AMI Trains that gives a money cheat and a year jump. No breakdowns would be good for my trams though lol

But can you not add different signals, like the amount in OpenTTD?
Mystic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mystic »

doxlulzem wrote: But can you not add different signals, like the amount in OpenTTD?
I doubt it, since that would probably require editing the hard-coded source files.

It's a shame, since the game had so much potential, and probably could have become a Classic if they had allowed modding of the game. The idea of the game is good, but it was never able to live up to it's full potential. Chris Sawyer never followed up on this game, and he (or Atari) made certain that nobody else would even attempt to improve or add features to his game after he gave up.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Mystic wrote:I don't know if this still exists, or if it's allowed to discuss, but about a decade ago there was a trainer that allowed unlimited money, reliability and modified various settings. I'm planning on reinstalling Locomotion and looking for it now so I can have locomotives that don't get old and force me to constantly replace them.
I have never seen a trainer that allowed unlimited reliabiliy...There is however a tool wich can make all of your vehicles have unlimited (100%) reliability and have no obsoletion. Just drop all of your DAT.files in there and voila...Replace them with your original vehicles. The tool is called Loco Wrapper, and can be found here on AMItrains:

http://amitrains.co.uk/downloads/viewdo ... otool.html
doxlulzem wrote:But can you not add different signals, like the amount in OpenTTD?
Of course you can add different signals. Just download them and add them in your TRACKST.DAT. For now I have managed to put 21 different signals in my TRACKST.DAT, however you can only use 16 at once...

Good Luck !
Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir BNSF »

doxlulzem wrote:But can you not add different signals, like the amount in OpenTTD?
EDS wrote:Of course you can add different signals. Just download them and add them in your TRACKST.DAT. For now I have managed to put 21 different signals in my TRACKST.DAT, however you can only use 16 at once...
I think he meant signals with different functions or I could be wrong. If that is what he meant I'm afraid the only 2 options you have for signals in Locomotion is 1 way or 2 way signals.
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Sir BNSF wrote:
EDS wrote:Of course you can add different signals. Just download them and add them in your TRACKST.DAT. For now I have managed to put 21 different signals in my TRACKST.DAT, however you can only use 16 at once...
I think he meant signals with different functions or I could be wrong. If that is what he meant I'm afraid the only 2 options you have for signals in Locomotion is 1 way or 2 way signals.
Personally I would hope to only have signals that are either bi directional or working in a single direction ( with route indicators ) on the UK based ones, it's very easy to crash a train in Lomo rather like RL because the signals play a part within the game's AI and the game uses them to determine certain aspects such as train priority in relation to signal placement when you have junctions.
That is why you should always use signals before and after cross overs or junctions to create the necessary block separation for the trains to function properely, if a train cannot follow the path set for it then it will either return the way it came or until it reaches a contrary signal indication to it's path of travel which will then make it take the first available route of exit or return the train to the original point of obstruction
Attachments
signals layout.jpg
signals layout.jpg (297.46 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Return to “General Locomotion”