Locomotions graphics good or bad?

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

do ya like em?

no
55%
yes
45%

Total votes: 191

mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

My complaint is that instead of using the extra resolution to increase the deatail, the trains look like poor quality toys, and the buildings have just been roughened.
Lega-C
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lega-C »

yes ive also changed my mind... new pictures... but they dont look new. well hope it is getting better
Lega-C -
eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eobet »

Lega-C wrote:people whats wrong with you.... you sit here and play TT and then you say that locomotion has bad graphics.... its at least better than TT so i voted -YES-.... shame on you :x
Well, I guess that is why the poll exist... to judge opinions.

Unless you live in a very poor eastern European country, I can't see how anyone can find these graphics pleasant to look at.

Also, I know this is a limitation in his 2D engine design, but my god, in all these years, he could have come up with a better idea:
Attachments
Sob, sigh, moan...
Sob, sigh, moan...
poor.gif (53.37 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
locash
Engineer
Engineer

Post by locash »

I have seen people saying they dont like the dull snow on the levels, dont you think that this game will most probably have seasons? i would hope there would be some kind of environment changes in the game. Granted i have no facts to backup this opinion ;)

An about the graphics in general, looks hand drawn sprites again which is ok i suppose, aslong as the core gameplay is solid. BUT somthing a bit more cutting edge would have been nice.

Ah well we got a sequel finally :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well if you think about it, any snow in a city of the era depicted (1920?) would have filthy snow because of all the coal smoke. So nothing wrong with that.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Guys, try setting the screens on your desktop, take a look at every now and then, and simply realize that Mr. Saywer just tried a new style, neither TTD style, neither Rollercoaster (another scale, more realistic)...

And to be honest, I simply like it. You shouldn't compare TTD and Locomotion, because it might become a whole new game.

But those bridges still look like s*** 8)
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I can see why the bridges are in that style, but he should round them off a bit more.
Sietse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sietse »

I'm really dissapointed after looking at this, I certainly expected more of it...

Chris Sawyer really set a good game with TT in 1994, graphically and gameplay based. Nowadays, the RTC engine is old and doesn't set a good show compared to other RTS games. I never liked rail construction in RTC, so (if the same concept is used in Locomotion) I won't like it in this game either.

Too bad, I expected more of it... :(
Wim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wim »

First, I want to say that I have a huge amount of respect for the earlier games of Chris Sawyer (read: TT & TTD). Undoubtedly.

But THIS. It's just a piece of crap... Locomotive is running on the RCT engine, which is getting 'a little' obsolete. The poor thing is about five years old, everything is grainy. There is no shadow, it's light or dark, the colors are pale, and there are glitches everywhere. Of course, Chris Sawyer will keep with the prerendered s***, so we can already forget smooth movement of trains etc.

I am really fed up with this, is this everything Chris Sawyer and Simon Foster can come up with? We may ask ourselves the question: do they have the qualities to make a game that's acceptable for TODAYS standards. I think Chris Sawyer abuses his TTD fanbase as it is.

They have to put themselves together, otherwise it will be the end of a great franchise. I'm hoping for a successor to TTD for a lot of years, but I didn't want it to be this way.

[edit] I just read some people that stated: "Well, at least the graphics are better than TTD's..". I don't agree. I even think TTD's graphics are far better than LoMo's. Perhaps they've got less detail, a lower resolution etc. But they are very clear, and the colors are bright. I wouldn't like to look at these graphics for hours and hours.

Just my 2 cents..
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

how about the graphical problems of a 3D veiw then?
detail appearing and disappering randomly, extreme pixelation (It's actually worse than prerendered graphics, as they are using a better renderer), and jerky movment even with the most powerful computers. give me pre-rendered (or even better, drawn) graphics any day.
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Well, I have to say that I really dislike the graphics. Not even commenting on the viaducts, the build-on-slopes foundations look too high and unrealistic probably mainly because the slopes are too steep. Also the buildings are much higher and larger than in TTD, which has the disadvantage of massively hiding the transport routes behind them - this happens too in TTD but much less often and not so intensively. And I think the trees are too big too. And back to the viaducts, it looks like it's possible to build stations there as well, which is fine, but how the hell do people *get* there? Frequently the only visible access there is by the tracks, also on viaducts. Overally it looks very weird, disregarding the awful Escher-like eye-hurting graphics with twisted perspective, which I hope will yet get fixed.

Well, to bring at least some positive points, the transparent windows look refreshing as well as the trams. I also quite like the crowded passenger stations, with people shown there - I've been already thinking about this for OTTD before.

It would be nice to see more variated screenshots, though. Show us some rail networks with semaphores etc, and also some industries. Also it would be nice to see more "innards" of the game - vehicle build dialog, station info, vehicle info and so.
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

what I don't like is that it actually looks like a roller coaster...
we all wanted the bridge feature, but I don't like what it looks with the trains making impossible curves at 300m. above the ground (I wouldn't like to live in such a city)
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

I don't think that's very realistic.

Stations and tracks 300 feet off the ground with HUGE stone aquaducts in the Depression Era?
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

RPharazon: that density is not realistic, but I know of a couple of stations which are elevated well above the ground (one end of Durham station, for instance) And several places where there is a large brick viaduct straight across at least the edge of the town (the reason that Durham station is several floors up, as well as Scunthorpe). Anyway, they are Viaducts, not Aquaducts, which have water on top.
Finally, who said that they were built in the depression era, they could have been built 30 years earlier, for large, elegant 'singles' (locos with only one driving axle)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i can't believe you guys! why bother aboot the graphics being 2d and pre-rendered? man, was simcity 3000 whack for being 2d? is ttdl whack for being 2d? the BEST games are 2d, i hate the f*** s*** 3d crap trend that's going on, everything must be better, 3d-er and smoother. argh! :evil:

e/d: sorry aboot the cursing, i just get a little emotional quickly... :roll: :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
hatebreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hatebreed »

Yeah! 2D forever!! Some of the best games ever are 2D (TTD, MK, WarCraft, StarCraft, Heroes of M&M, the quest games etc.) that's why I love Chris Sawyer for not going 3D.

[later edit]

About the graphics themselves, the quality is so-so. I mean there's the buildings that are obviously better looking, the trams are good too, the trees are great, the cities look bigger and more artistic, the tiles are bigger than TTD's, the airport is making my mouse hand itchy but then there's the snow to grass transition tiles which are grotesque, the font is rounder than TTD's which I liked better, the water tiles are not pretty at all, the square margins of the viaduct are so-not-compatible with the rounded rails running between them and the vertically lifted tiles look totally unreal (not suited to the TTD style, to RCT yes but to TTD I think not)... I only hope Chris hasn't lost it yet and all will be an extraordinary ensemble just as it always has.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

lets not forget 2d scenarios with 3d vehicles/units. Those games rock too.
hatebreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hatebreed »

All I can think of right now is Lionheart, which is a good game. Oh and The Temple of Elemental Evil too, good one too. Tiberian Sun with voxel units was good stuff too. Anyway, it's better than full 2D.
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

the only 2-D with 3-D vehicles I have played was total annihilation, and that looked brilliant (when it came out. I'm sure modern graphics card can make it brilliant now) the problem with full 3-D games of either the buisness/transport, or RTS genres, is that drawing the tarrian takes so much of the computers power, that you have to have either the most simple vehicle graphics, or put up with low framerate. The 2-D tarrain also forces you into a more distant veiw, (which while a problem in RTS is not here), which mean that people will not worry about rivet counting as much, so you can have simpler models, and again this allows either more on screen or a higher framerate.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

but you have to keep in mind that a screenshot is far from the actual gameplay. no matter how you twist or turn, eventually the moving (read: working) game itself is always much different from the screenies.
also, yeah tiberian sun had great graphics (much better then red alert 2, which were too cartoon-esque for me) and it was a great game, but then again, everything got fu... i mean, everything went down when they released this 3d crap. i'm getting pretty much tired of it.

2d for me, seriously.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Return to “General Locomotion”