Playing with mods and AI

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Playing with mods and AI

Post by OpenRailer90 »

Hi guys, I'm looking for tips on how to play Locomotion with all those cool moods like new vehicles, but at the same time, face competition. What surprises me the most is that a good number of the trains hane infinite reliability - which meant that my rivals' steam trains lasted from 1910 to my current point (1980). They make very poor choices, like building an airport on a mountainside when they start out, or building useless sloped bridges and building loops at freight hubs. Worse, they build anuseless loop of roadway that their vehicles just ignore it.

My solution to that is: not modding my track files at all, and using Locotool to make them possible to break down.
Acela Wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Playing with mods and AI

Post by Acela Wolf »

Looks like you've got it figured out. Locotool is fantastic. And also, you need to modify your trackst.dat file if you want to use downloaded bridges, stations, and signals.
Signatures are overrated.
OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by OpenRailer90 »

Sadly, when I change the revised stats, I have to rebuy the vehicle. The only practical use for 0% breakdowns is for a custom map like The Serpent and Provo Utah. Using Locotool to change a trackst or trackng just made it that in Swiss alps 19xx, the AI always used the narrow gauge track. However, if the trackfiles were unmodified, they logically pick which rail gauge is more suitable.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

tycoonkid9 wrote:Using Locotool to change a trackst or trackng just made it that in Swiss alps 19xx, the AI always used the narrow gauge track.
That's odd. That has never been a problem for me. However, I don't even bother with the AI anymore because I have about 5 or 6 track types in use.

I'm surprised that you haven't had more issues with the AI and mods. Rival companies always miss the purpose of exceptional vehicles and just-for-display mods. I first discovered this when I came across an Electra-Star running on twisted brick bridge so that it was unable to achieve even 1/3 of its top speed.
OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by OpenRailer90 »

That's exactly why I avoid the Electra Star almost always. And loco roller, the trackng has edited speed stats.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Well that explains why they choose the narrow gauge track. Your track now has a better speed limit on curves in addition to having a wider range of track pieces, so it appeals to them more.
Acela Wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acela Wolf »

tycoonkid9 wrote:That's exactly why I avoid the Electra Star almost always. And loco roller, the trackng has edited speed stats.
Before I knew how to modify track files, before I had earth slopes, I would use the Electra-Star on straight (absolutely no curves except at stations) steel arch bridges above everything. When two towns are not in perfect alignment, I use curves as little as possible to keep high speed.
Signatures are overrated.
OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by OpenRailer90 »

I use a brick bridge that allows 200 mph. That way my trains can use their top speed as their potential.

Return to “General Locomotion”