How to NOT let a town grow

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

How to NOT let a town grow

Post by Zimmlock »

Hi :D not much time to do something with locomotion, real life is consuming my time, but in the rare moments i can play i play my Lake District map and i found out that if you build in the scenario editor your towns in a certain way they ll not grow as long as you dont transport anything to or from them, in my game i have reached the year 1952 and non of my towns, that are build all the same way, have grown 1 house or one road tile.
So if you want your towns not to grow untill you transport any thing to or from them build them in the way shown in the screenie.
Best regards Zimmlock
Attachments
Spititville.png
Spititville.png (83.79 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Re: How to NOT let a town grow

Post by The Tram man »

You could also, if the town already has expanded, build a one way street around it. That stops it from expanding further.
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Or use the Boundary fence:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=47156
Although it may not look as nice as if it would without it, it looks like a prison town with a fence around the town.
dedmicz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dedmicz »

I handle it different way. Edited .dats so roads do not cross eachother. I build roads in towns and than copy edited dats without crossings. This way I keep town sizes the way I want.

It's the best way for me. Towns doesn't look like prisons or small villages with ring roads everywhere.

Here's pic of how it looks like.
Attachments
Little Pebblewood not growing.PNG
(349.31 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

In the way i build those towns you dont need other tricks, no fences, tracks or dat tricks, i have reached 1994 today and they still are the same size.
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Both of those work quite well :)

And anyway, to make Zimm's method work, you'd already have to be doing absolutely nothing to the town, so it wouldn't matter how the town looked.

I'm curious, how did you stumble upon that little trick?
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

LocoRoller wrote:Both of those work quite well :) how did you stumble upon that little trick?
Just by accident, i think it doesnt grow because the outer edge is fully occupied by houses, you see the same at dedmicz screenshot.
It has to be tested, design a few towns in the editor and fully fill the edges with houses.
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Warrender
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warrender »

A trick I regularly use to stunt town growth is to place track around the outside of the town in such a way that the town cannot build roads through the blockade of track thereby stunting it.

The primary drawbacks are the obvious fact that it looks ugly as hell and cannot be done early in the game due to cost of building track. Later in the game however you can use the method to affect a huge area when working with large cities and that the rail can be lifted when no longer required. The advantages however is the fact it works, as well as preventing competition building near or connecting to the town. The other bonus is this method can be used to direct a towns growth. If you want the town to not grow West as you plan to modify the land or build transport their soon then you simply block off the north, west and south so it can only go east.
chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chrissykes »

dedmicz wrote:I handle it different way. Edited .dats so roads do not cross eachother. I build roads in towns and than copy edited dats without crossings. This way I keep town sizes the way I want.

It's the best way for me. Towns doesn't look like prisons or small villages with ring roads everywhere.

Here's pic of how it looks like.
Hi dedmicz,

please could you upload this modded version as i would like to use this?

thanks
dedmicz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dedmicz »

Sure. Just remember to backup original .dat files. I have only rough road and normal european road edited.
Attachments
ROADRGH.dat
(42.6 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
ROADTMC.dat
(54.87 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chrissykes »

dedmicz wrote:Sure. Just remember to backup original .dat files. I have only rough road and normal european road edited.
Smashing thanks for those! Do you use these edited dats in the scenario builder?

Return to “General Locomotion”