the advantages of this game?

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

gogo214
Engineer
Engineer

the advantages of this game?

Post by gogo214 »

I am kinda tired of playing ottd could you tell me why I should play this rather than ottd?
What are the advantages over ottd.
Thanx
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: the advantages of this game?

Post by Nawdic »

None that I can see. Better graphics, maybe, but about it.

Not as big as OTTD.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

It's so cheap these days that you should just get it and look for yourself I think. Personally I prefer Locomotion because of the graphics and simplicity, but OTTD has much more possibilities and mods available.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I like their realistic trains. There are more freedom of landscaping.

But OpenTTD has a better gaming.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

One thing Locomotion has that is harder to do with any TT variety, is the possibility of creating urban rapid transit rail lines, much like the Chicago "L". If your line is high enough, it can be built above structures in Locomotion. If you're interested in an urban rapid transit game, there are CTA "L" cars, as well as Metra Suburban trains, and also "L" cars from New York too.
Without Trains America Stops

Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Pros: The graphics are better, and the curves allow for complex junctions and more realistic tracks.

Cons: The AI is still stupid, the community is smaller, and you have to hunt for the mods that you want instead of downloading them on the spot.
Warrender
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Warrender »

LocoRoller wrote:Pros: The graphics are better, and the curves allow for complex junctions and more realistic tracks.

Cons: The AI is still stupid, the community is smaller, and you have to hunt for the mods that you want instead of downloading them on the spot.
Must admit, this does sum up my opinion nicely. I prefer being able to make more realistic and complex junctions and enjoy bringing a ton of lines together and working out how to build the junction to get them where they need to be using the most economical and less time-consuming method. Again, the cons would be the mods and special features that aren't in Locomation but in truth, I'm happy without.
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

Except for mentioned above: unlimited underground and above-ground building, no depots, only one type of rail (not counting narrow gauge track, being parallel to normal track), Roller Coaster Tycoon-like system of construction (might be also a disadvantage), no need for water and/or food for towns to grow, no train-car collisions, no unwanted curves, water adjusting (no sea-level), better music, map rotating and various minor advantages.
TehPlaneFreak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TehPlaneFreak »

gogo214 wrote:I am kinda tired of playing ottd could you tell me why I should play this rather than ottd?
What are the advantages over ottd.
Thanx
I think the decision is up to you. Locomotion seems more life-like and more modern, while OpenTTD is *hashtag* retro and classical.
TehPlaneFreak!
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

For a player of TTD, the disadvantages of this game outweigh any gains. The game looks so similar to TTD, but does not at all act like it. Everything is moved around the screen, just like Microsoft does with their products, invalidating muscle memory.

In the top left corner there used to be a frequently used Pause button, to switch between survey and play, which now brings up a dialog. If I click on the status bar of a vehicle viewport, nothing at all happens; to start/stop a vehicle one must click a little flag elsewhere. Orders window is totally reorganized (without most of the enhancements of the patch). The rest of the main toolbar has been reorganized; certain essential functions – , such as, Land Info (to get which industry cells demand Pax, price to clear, ownership), cargo payment rates – aren't there at all.

The ability to raise each corner of land individually is not an advantage. I saw it like that in RCT1, and still think of it like that. This creates ugly vertical 'walls' of landmass, which are also made by the generator, and are hard to avoid. The occasional 'ramp' in TTD looked better, and could be easily demolished.

Track laying is very hard and slow, a mistake requires a reload of the scenario via the menu system (after which the build controls are gone).

It could be done better as proven by OpenTTD, which integrated new functions organically. RollerCoaster Tycoon players will, however, feel right at home in Locomotion.

The graphics overall are too gray, and much more noisy due to excessive dithering. Music is fair, but general midi shines through it. It is of about equal quality. Music pauses whenever the game is paused!

Clear advantages I that noticed: more detailed industry buildings, better graphics of town buildings, sloped tracks that are also more difficult to lay, absolutely amazing translucency in graphics elements for a 256 color mode, realistic vehicle acceleration, better control over orders (but not better than O[TTD]Patch), higher bridges that are also difficult to build (in patch also).
AlphaMan1965
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlphaMan1965 »

fun n stuff
OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by OpenRailer90 »

Useless bump
Acela Wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acela Wolf »

Personally, I think every thing about Locomotion is better than OTTD. Examples: more realistic momentum physics, more default vehicles, different regions, first-time-player-friendly, pre-made scenarios, and less complex gameplay. The only thing OTTD has better than Locomotion is Maglevs and Monorails.
Signatures are overrated.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I've found the biggest disadvantage to be the limits on modifications, both in the .xml and the scenario editor.

@tycoonkid9- Badger will handle it. Be careful; backseat moderation isn't usually appreciated by moderators. (Don't shoot the messenger)

Return to “General Locomotion”