Discussion about the merits-list for Locomotion

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Discussion about the merits-list for Locomotion

Post by Hyronymus »

strongbow wrote:Plastikman asked you why this topic exists at all, not why it is split from another one.
Don't you think that the reason why I split it is also the reason how it became to exist?
strongbow
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by strongbow »

You are seriously good at misinterpreting words.

The question is not how it was created but whether your little trench warfare topic is needed at all if nothing good can come out of it. Walter and Freaky do not deserve this much attention for all they are.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

strongbow wrote:You are seriously good at misinterpreting words.

The question is not how it was created but whether your little trench warfare topic is needed at all if nothing good can come out of it. Walter and Freaky do not deserve this much attention for all they are.
Your interpretation of why this topic was created: to give Walter and freaky1 a stage.
My interpretation of why this topic was created: to keep the merits list clean.

And please read all of the topic, not just the head and tail.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Hyronymus wrote:
strongbow wrote:Plastikman asked you why this topic exists at all, not why it is split from another one.
Don't you think that the reason why I split it is also the reason how it became to exist?
Obviously the reason this topic exists is because it has been split, however I think that Platikman was enquiring as to the point of this topic because you split the topic and then threatened to lock it. The general feeling I have is that you would prefer it if all this topic was locked to prevent the discussion which it was split for, which doesn't really make sense to me.
Hyronymus wrote:This is the last moderator interference before we put a lock on this topic, the aim of this topic is not to create a free shooting range.
Anyhoo, I have no idea what is going on here but I thought I would just point out what I find (and I think others find) confusing about the moderation of this topic.
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

And so, on Twiggy's correct notice, I corrected myself and hopefully added a better explanation of what I want for this topic.
Lochris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lochris »

I got a question:
Why is a permission needed? For making 100+ photos of a model? I could also make screenshots af all angles of a model in locomotion and rebuild it. No modder ever prohibited publishing screenshots of his models... And why is no permission needed from the constructor of the real vehicle or the company running it? EA pays millions to Porsche for the right to use the cars in their games...
ImageImage

English is not my mother tongue, so feel free to correct me!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Lochris wrote:I got a question:
Why is a permission needed? For making 100+ photos of a model? I could also make screenshots af all angles of a model in locomotion and rebuild it. No modder ever prohibited publishing screenshots of his models... And why is no permission needed from the constructor of the real vehicle or the company running it? EA pays millions to Porsche for the right to use the cars in their games...
EA is a profit organistion, and thereby makes money for using models of Porsche's products, MSTS models and loco models are created for non-profit purposes and therefore do not fall into this category.

Player made models on the other hand are copyrighted and all use of them in any way, (inclusive of screenshotting the model as you are still actually using the model for your uses), is prohibited without the author's permission.
demontrain
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by demontrain »

The is a difference between let's say me going to a MSTS model site (train-sim) and downloading 100 models. I can convert them all to locomotion. NOW here is the problem that this topic is centered on........... I can ONLY use them for myself...... I can NOT repeat NOT give, sell, donate or circulate them in anyway other than around my OWN locomotion game or train sim game without the artist's permission.... PERIOD>>

Now modders can and have given instructions on how to convert them. and here lies another problem. The modders on this forum have shared there modelling and conversion skills many times.... Many people either won't use. can't use, are to lazy to use the forum's search engine!!!!....

To put this in terms that most can understand.... If one was to create a way to use 1 watt of power to run a device that would produce 100 watts of power that person would want credit for the time spent to create the device... Or well maybe it would be just me that would want that sort of credit and $$$$ gained for the copyright etc etc

The artists are rightfully insisting on permission being granted for the hard work and skill... Part of the EULA is when downloading, buying or however getting the person getting said can NOT redistribute it in any way shape fashion or form....
Lochris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lochris »

OK, EA was a bad example... I guess you're right with the "own use"-explanation.

But why is this "Ugly pixelbombs, never download them etc." in every second post needed...
ImageImage

English is not my mother tongue, so feel free to correct me!
demontrain
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by demontrain »

Lochris wrote:OK, EA was a bad example... I guess you're right with the "own use"-explanation.

But why is this "Ugly pixelbombs, never download them etc." in every second post needed...
Glad to help. Ahh the other question is a good one and I have no answer or thought I wish to share at this time.
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

Locomotion is a fun game and I like to play it, yay.

Return to “General Locomotion”