NOTE:This is a topic to post your tips and tricks. Please, do not post requests for help, and try not to be too map specific in your hints. These should be hints you can carry over map to map.
Do Not Post a Tip or Hint that has already been posted.
10 Best Tips & Hints
1. Use trams to quickly grow cities(not to mention they provide stable profit), though do not go overboard as it can cause the city to use huge portion of the map, possibly making the game end much faster as you run out of things to do, or it just becomes impossible to maintain good ratings in your stations in the city.
2. Always go for high profit cargoes, such as coal first.
3. If you find your terminus clogged up, try turning it into a roll-in, roll-out station(Basically, you come into the station from the other end, then exit from the other end, basically trains never need to turn around).
4. Use waypoints to overcome pathfinding restrictions, and always use waypoints with ships.
5. Try to build your junctions efficiently, and if possible separate it into sections, as 1 signal block can only have 1 train on it at a time. For example, having multiple entries/exits into/out of 1 station would allow multiple trains to enter/leave at once.
6. Airplanes are very profitable somewhere after 1940-1950, but only really make sense on long distances, try to employ them when you can afford them as they can provide a ample cash flow to make expansion of your company much faster.
7. Try to combine tram, bus, and train transport into 1 station, as quick movement rate of the buses and trams maintain higher rating while trains are away, while the trains can handle the huge amount of passengers, and possibly mail.
8. Try not to make your stations too large, and try not to route too many trains/buses/trams/trucks to 1 station. Try to spread your services, this possibly could make jamming less frequent. Though its easy to tell trains to go between point a and point b, you will eventually run into a performance bottleneck if you overservice.
9. Try to catch as many industries with 1 station as you can, though as per tip 8, do not try too hard.
10. Do not compete with yourself, unless its absolutely necessary for improving ratings, or just performance wise makes more sense. Having 3 diffrent stations of your own for 1 industry for example makes no sense when you could simply have 1 station.
Last edited by Villem on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:52 am, edited 10 times in total.