Hacking TTO Demo's

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
WWTBAM

Hacking TTO Demo's

Post by WWTBAM »

I have been trying to hack out the time limit on the earliest TTO demo with a hex editor. I have tried changing all occurrences of 1933 to a larger date and that doesn't seem to have helped. If I try adding the number of days to 1930, it refuses to load. Does anyone else have ideas of what to try changing either separately from what I have tried or combined with that?
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Hacking TTO Demo's

Post by planetmaker »

Search for 13 instead of 1933. Years at least for TTD(Patch) are usually 1920-based
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Will try 13 next, I tried 12 since under my tests, it was crashing at 1932. I could only find one instance of 1920 in the exe. I have upped the three occurrences of 12 that were nearest to 1920 to 14 to see what happens.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

Let's hope it works..

Could it be that there is a Demo flag that must be turned off?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Well upping them to 14 didn't change anything. I also tried changing every 12 to 14 and obviously I broke something as the game refused to load. I highly doubt the starting date of 1930 is important now that I checked intro dates for the release version of TTO and the first RV's are introed in 1926. I have no idea where to look for unlocking the other vehicle types and don't expect help with that.
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

That isn't so important compared to fixing the crash. Maybe if we packet sniff the game while it changes to 1932? The interesting part is, the year change works, but it crashes one day after.
Maybe we can set the start date to 1933?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

roboboy wrote: I have no idea where to look for unlocking the other vehicle types
Gurluas2000 wrote: Maybe we can set the start date to 1933?
Use the force Gurluas2000 ... use the force, you can do it.

Edit:
Force is in this case start wars related only.
I would not want you saying at some point but he said it was OK ...
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Gurluas2000 wrote:That isn't so important compared to fixing the crash. Maybe if we packet sniff the game while it changes to 1932? The interesting part is, the year change works, but it crashes one day after.
Maybe we can set the start date to 1933?
I think I tried that, but will try it again by replacing 10 near 1920 to 1940 in the morning. Would be interesting to know what Owen tried when he tried.
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

Indeed it would.. Maybe there is a flag we need to change somewhere?

Is the structure similar to the TTD exe?
The TTDPatch people must have documented it thoroughly.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have never looked at the TTD exe, I don't believe there is much documentation on it even though I doubt it would help. I give in for now unless a dev can give me more sugestions on where to look and what to look for or tools to see why it crashes as I have no clue about debugging on DOS(Box).

Edit, I present a savegame saved on the 1st January 1932 the day before the crash. I may try and set it's date to a latter date, or even open it in OpenTTD.
Edit2, OpenTTD refused to open it.
Attachments
TRT00.SAV
(142.2 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

roboboy wrote:I have never looked at the TTD exe, I don't believe there is much documentation on it even though I doubt it would help. I give in for now unless a dev can give me more sugestions on where to look and what to look for or tools to see why it crashes as I have no clue about debugging on DOS(Box).

Edit, I present a savegame saved on the 1st January 1932 the day before the crash. I may try and set it's date to a latter date, or even open it in OpenTTD.
Edit2, OpenTTD refused to open it.
Did setting it to a later date help?

Keep in mind, whoever achieves this will be remembered in the annals of history as the one who unlocked the Transport Tyccoon Prototype.
The one who blessed us with this fabled knowledge. Your Children will be proud of you for this massive achievement.
It will not be me, I can already say that, but it may be you. So do not give up, fight to achieve this, fight to unlock the Transport Tycoon Prototype!

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”