Where can I make the most money?? (Industrial Transports)

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
IRS.INC.
Engineer
Engineer

Where can I make the most money?? (Industrial Transports)

Post by IRS.INC. »

Hy!!! What do you think??

Where can I get the most profit?
Transportation of:

-coal
-wood
-oil
and all other......

(but not transportation of peoples)

I think its the best to transport >oil< .... the transportation costs much, but you have more profit......

Do you know another hint???

:arrow: :?
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Why not have a look at the cargo payment rates within the game?

If you click and hold the graph button then it should be on that menu (I think it's the last one).
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
IRS.INC.
Engineer
Engineer

yes - you are right....

Post by IRS.INC. »

...but....

I must tell you something:

I found out, that is the best, buy more Buses for transporation of people in town.... so I had in one town 8-10 Buses, who are only driving in only this town.....

Its better because: The transportations runs faster (you get not much money but, when you make that in each town.... you will be rich!!!

;-)
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Ah c'mon...ofcourse not.

Try starting with coals at the beginning of the game...then work your way up using subsidies and other profitable routes. It's best to ignore the busses (unless you want RSI when you need to renew all busses?)
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
IRS.INC.
Engineer
Engineer

:-)

Post by IRS.INC. »

but you don`t have so much instant-costs with buses - and thats it!!!!

I don`t re-new all buses 8)
lynsey
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lynsey »

The thing with busses is that to make good profit you need many bus stops, and the game can't have all that many stations, so you find yourself, a few years down the line not being able to build good industrial train services because you have 10 bus stops for 5 busses each making £300 a year profit. Not very worth it.
Big Mad Tony
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Big Mad Tony »

Coal's a very stable industry. It will last the whole game and raking in profits, but if you get a lot of iron ore to steel, then you can get a very lucrative service there.
Person man, person man - hit on the head with a frying pan.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Big Mad Tony wrote:Coal's a very stable industry. It will last the whole game and raking in profits, but if you get a lot of iron ore to steel, then you can get a very lucrative service there.
A bit late, don't you think :wink:
MrBadAxe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrBadAxe »

Here's what I've managed to figure out:

TYCOON'S PRINCIPLES OF PROFIT:

I. Profit is directly related to route length. (longer route = more $)

II. Profit is directly related to amount of cargo delivered. (more vehicles = more $)

III. Profit is inversely related to time in transit. (less time = more $)

I notice that #1 eventually overcomes #3 for long enough routes. So build them far away from each other, provided you got something fast enough.

CASE IN POINT: A food processing plant recieves fruit from two plantations. Some of the trains were bringing in $25000 per load, while the others were bringing in closer to $150000 per load. Those bringing in the greater amount were much further away.
Service Subsidy Offered:
Fizzy Drink service from 7-Eleven to My Door will earn...eh, I'll give you ten bucks. If you get me a Dr Pepper.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

That's correct.
The longer, straighter and flatter a route, the more money the vehicle will make (though planes automatically take the straightest/flattest route 8) ).
This is one reason why complex junctions are bad things. They slow trains down, unllike direct lines. :)

Routes should always try to go THROUGH an obstruction (i.e. hill etc). Generally by knocking it down. :) Water you should raise into flat land. Bridges slow down trains.
Optimising routes is an art. Having looked at some of the screen-shots some peeps have posted to this forum, it seems not everyone has realised the above rules of money-making. :)

Unfortunatly the AI seems to think that taking convoluted routes over short distances to make them longer is the best way to make money. :/

There are a few details i'm not sure of though:
1) What is the distance measured from and to. Is it between the stations, or between the industries/towns?
2) When does the timing start for the trip? When the train leaves the station, or as soon at it starts loading.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Moriarty wrote:Optimising routes is an art. Having looked at some of the screen-shots some peeps have posted to this forum, it seems not everyone has realised the above rules of money-making. :)
Some people play for realism, rather than sheer profit.
Moriarty wrote:There are a few details i'm not sure of though:
1) What is the distance measured from and to. Is it between the stations, or between the industries/towns?
2) When does the timing start for the trip? When the train leaves the station, or as soon at it starts loading.
1) Station signs
2) When the individual carriers in a consist finish loading. This means that in a long train, the wagons at the fron (loaded first) bring in less money than those at the back (loaded last). This is why many short trains often make more money than a few long ones... But your network can jam up much more.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

realism. What's that? :)
"money makes the world go round".

I don't recall the last time i saw a four-leaf clover on the east-coast main line. ;)

Thanx for the answers though. Will remember to place my stations taht little bit further apart.
LorthUndulia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LorthUndulia »

I think Oil and Coal is the best sometimes I can earn more than 10000 in oil and coal
But sometimes (not always I don't know why?) Copper Ore can make money too
Try Oil Coal and Copper Ore!
"In life Sons bury Fathers, In war Fathers bury Sons"
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Why dig up a topic after more than a year :?:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
LorthUndulia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LorthUndulia »

Sorry Purno I saw it too late and I think maybe I can help someone
SORRY! :wink: :wink: :!: :D :D
"In life Sons bury Fathers, In war Fathers bury Sons"

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”