When did you start playing TTO ?

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

I started playing TTO at some 1999 I guess. But I didn't play it for long, it was very boring (Yes TTO was boring) because I was allready used to playing TTD, and TTO had some really stupid mistakes in it, which I could not get used to.
jappie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jappie »

I started playing TTD when the TTO couldnt rely on The winxp it made some strange Crashes and returned to my Explorer i Deleted TTO and Downloaded TTD :oops: :D 8) i loved the toyland only The profit in Toyland was Way lower then the other Environments :shock:
NS RuleS:) YOU people of the NS train project rocks cant wait till its 100%:) 33% coded buggger. Me and Dots and Readingsigns.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Jappie, you will like gurluas2000, he's crazy about TTO too :mrgreen:
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

And the chippie, the grass and the ginzu a3 and all the others
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
goodpup74
Engineer
Engineer

Long Live Transport Tycoon!

Post by goodpup74 »

I remember buying TT in 1995. It was my second year in college. I bought TT because it looked fun and it was related to my major (operations management). I didn't buy TTD because I was too hooked on the original to think the sequel would be any better (I still only play the normal scenario, not the desert, tundra or candyland versions). I played TT on a Packard Bell, 486/66mhz (da bomb back in '95). I remember how my PC tried so desperately to keep up when trying to scroll around the world, but the screen would occasionally become jittery.

After homework :wink: , I'd play TT for hours and hours straight. I just got a copy of the windows version with the patch and I'm hooked again (eight hours logged in since Sunday night)! I've pre-ordered CS's Locomotion for shipment on 9/7. It looks like what TT should after ten years. I'm glad to see TT make it into the new millennium, even if it is under an alias. :)
Jackoz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jackoz »

first time.. only thing I remember is that it was a 486DX 66mhz with the huge amount of 16mb of ram :)

I think something like 1998-1997
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

wow, when i first start.. i don't even remember when i bought it - i remember playing it at a friends house and loving it, he's always boast about how good he was, so i set about to beat him.. so i went and got it and that's when the addiction set it.. the rest as they say, is history!
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

When I started

Post by TheGrew »

I started first on my uncles pc and back in 1998 and got very addicted I was only 7.
jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

I started playin TTO in 1995.....that was probably the standout game of my youth. Some Commodore 64 stuff was good too.
StinKerr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by StinKerr »

I started playing TTD (DOS version) in 1995 (maybe earlier?) on my old 386SX.
I just found OTTD today and I'm impressed. WooHoo. I won't need the shadow stations in this version. (A shadow station receives materials but does not supply the production of the materials...steel, goods,paper, food, whatever and requires careful placement.)
furdude6
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by furdude6 »

I think I started in '96 or '97 But I like it and the Demo of Locomotion, that I wish I could have full version.
Waynerrr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Waynerrr »

Hmmmm about 1996/97 I think. I say that because I was using a laptop, a laptop that had to be upgraded to Windows 95. I had to pay about £40 for an extra 4mb's of RAM (totalling 8mb's). I litterally played it until the HDD packed up, all 700mb's of it. I later played the Playstation version, however I'm sure there's a point in that version where it can't go any further, it just stops! Took it back in the end.
Tone-EQ
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Long Live Transport Tycoon!

Post by Tone-EQ »

goodpup74 wrote: I played TT on a Packard Bell, 486/66mhz (da bomb back in '95). I remember how my PC tried so desperately to keep up when trying to scroll around the world, but the screen would occasionally become jittery.
Amazing. I had a Packard Bell 9502 with a 486 DX/2 66Mhz processor, 4Mb of onboard RAM, a 500Mb HD and something like a 512Kb Cirrus Logic VGA thingy. Played TT just fine!

First game I ever bought new (got Dune II and Doom 2 for £3 each from a boot sale, on floppies!) was a bundle called "Business Selection", I think by Electronic Arts, which comprised of Theme Park and Transport Tycoon. Bought it because it was the only version of Theme Park my local computer shop had. Happily played Theme Park until I got bored with it. I remembered this other game (TT). Didn't have a clue what I was doing. Just built this really long single line connecting all the towns with small stations, then not having enought money to build any trains.

Eventually got the hang of it anyway. Must be in '96 I got the Deluxe version from the same place. Then a few years later discovered the excellent work being done in TTDPatch. This year I discovered OpenTTD which is almost perfect. There isn't many games lots of people still play after 10 years!
Moth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Moth »

Hi all, just came across these forums the other day when for no particular reason I typed "transport tycoon" into Google.

Anyway, the first time I played Transport Tycoon was back in September 1994 and it was a demo version from a magazine coverdisk. I then got the full game for that Christmas from my girlfriend. I think she's regretted buying it for me a few times since then! Mind you, she's now my wife so I can't have been *that* bad!

At the time, I played it on my parents' 386DX-40 - 4MB of RAM. And it did get *really* slow once a lot was going on in the game. It took absolutely ages for a year to pass in the game. Scrolling the map was really slow too, as someone else mentioned a few posts back - and their PC was high-powered compared to this one!!

Sadly, at some point I mislaid the original CD (still got the box and everything). This forced me to buy TT Deluxe (the budget version as that was the only one available when I bought it a few years back).

Still playing Transport Tycoon Deluxe - every now and then I get a phase where I play it almost obsessively, then I'll leave it for months but I've always come back to it sooner or later.

So there you go. My TT-playing history.

Tim.
finch7
Engineer
Engineer

Post by finch7 »

I can't remember when exactly but my first version came on two floppy disks :) and the original box, white if i recall. I played on my P60 with 12Mb of RAM don't remember it strugling tho.

Anyway I later bought the delux version.

Still have the floppy disks but threw away the box :( , best game I ever bought on floppies thats for sure!!
Tolmar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tolmar »

First played sept '98 when I met finch7 above at university.

and shortly afterward dropped out :roll:
K_m_H
Engineer
Engineer

Post by K_m_H »

I started playing back in 94/95 or can't remember really. DOS version only on a black and white screen.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

95 for me, the real TTO!! bought for 100 guilders (about 45 euros now)

after that I got for my birthday TTD
after that I installed the Patch
after that I installed and played OTTD
after that I installed and played Locomotion (Not really a TT Clone)

Still playing OTTD and Lomo
Peteza
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Peteza »

1997. Had a demo on some games cd, and then ordered by mail a few months later. Was so addicted to the demo, kept playing 2 year games. I was so excited when I ordered it, I remember waiting for it to come. Although it was one day it took ages. :)
Mickeye
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Mickeye »

Like other of you, I started on the college. I cant remember details, but it was in 94 or 95, on fantastic new 486 with superb performance. :)
Transport Tycoon charmed me at the first sight. That small airports with little Dacotas or steam machines with cloudlets of steam still touching my heart.
In present I have some pirate copy of TTO on my other computer and it's still 486 but not new and not with superb performance. :(

I was looking for new additions to TTO in 2003 and I discover TTD and TTDPatch, repairing some bugs and adding longly awaited features for TT. I playing it with some breaks for today.

P.S: Transport Tycoon or Simcity or Civilization taking to my students past, and it's quite pleasant journey.
Mickeye on devArt | Last.fm || Winner of "Best TT-Forums signature, 2006" award

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”