What do you miss in TTO?

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What do you miss in TTO?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is it that file called misc.zip?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Is it that file called misc.zip?
Google claims 11,700 such references. It would probably help if you also point out where it is.
Then again, if you have that information, wouldn't it be easier and faster to just download the file and unpack it to see what's inside?

If you have a good set of sprites with a proper GPL2 license, maybe it can be added to opengfx+trains?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Alberth wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:Is it that file called misc.zip?
Google claims 11,700 such references. It would probably help if you also point out where it is.
Then again, if you have that information, wouldn't it be easier and faster to just download the file and unpack it to see what's inside?

If you have a good set of sprites with a proper GPL2 license, maybe it can be added to opengfx+trains?
A link to another thread on TT-Forums was provided above in reference to a Jinty NewGRF.
On that thread an upload called misc.zip appears...I was asking if that file was what the provider of the link referred to as the Jinty NewGRF.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I figured the discussion topic itself was self-evident. If it wasn't, I'm quite certain somebody would have complained about it all those years ago.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:I figured the discussion topic itself was self-evident. If it wasn't, I'm quite certain somebody would have complained about it all those years ago.
Well,I downloaded the misc.zip and identified the jintyw.grf file (which is supposed to be compatible with TTDPatch,but does that means it works with current OpenTTD?) but what subdirectory do I have to put it in to run it?
The .openttd/newgrf directory is nothing but .tar files.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:but what subdirectory do I have to put it in to run it?
The .openttd/newgrf directory is nothing but .tar files.
Everything comes with a license file, and most grf also have a readme, which means there are 2..3 files that you need to keep together. A 'tar' format is useful for that. You can bundle files, but OpenTTD can still directly access all data, unlike eg .zip files, which are compressed.

But you're on the right track, just put the .grf file in there (or in a sub-directory afaik), and OpenTTD should pick it up.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

...and we are golden...presenting the Liverbridge Jintyrail Group,with an ultra-low-cost train underway (well,broken down).I'd rename Train 1 the Molasses Special if I didn't think I'd be upgrading soon.
Attachments
LiverbridgeJintyrailGroup,1stMar1930.sav
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 279 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I stuck it out for a while though I didn't use the Jinty for any other trains.2 of the 3 trains now on the route use engines that were available in TTO though I don't think a play-OpenTTD-as-if-you-were-playing-TTO scenario is viable if there are AIs with other options available to them.Perhaps one could code an AI with a preference for TTO vehicles?
Attachments
LiverbridgeJintyrailGroup,1stDec1935.sav
Jinty's last stand,though I've been tearing down mountainsides to ease its uphill slogs.
Maybe building lots of them would have return?
(3.84 MiB) Downloaded 236 times
LiverbridgeJintyrailGroup,11thDec1936.sav
Come the Jubilee,a faster engine increases ratings.
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 226 times

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”