What do you miss in TTO?

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
Proteus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Proteus »

Mr. X wrote:The monorail bridge!
me to.
Sorry my bad english.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

DIG DIG DIG DIG DIG DIG DIG DIIIIIIIIIIG
DIG!
Me?
the fenceless monorail!
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Ben1337
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ben1337 »

[quote="Gurluas2000"] old locomotives...terrain...farms...city growth...and the start theme music...thats all [/quote] Me too I love all the old theme music I don't like that theme music as much in ttd. The old locomotives had the proper names and the monorail bridges where the best feature of the game, I still remember them now. There is a demo of the game out that works on windows xp. :wink:
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: What do you miss in TTO?

Post by Pookey »

I never actually got to play TTO... :(
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Pookey wrote:I never actually got to play TTO... :(

Sadly the same.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

I started with TTD and missed TTO completely, but played it in DOSBox and it looks cool. The GUI is better than TTDs, but I disliked the mars expansion.
I think in terms of looks and feel TTO was better (from what I've played), but TTD had more features like 4 climates (well, 3 FUN climates!)
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
Silvan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silvan »

Being able to play on Mars :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

But you still can.

At least sort of. The vehicles might not be right, and I'm certain the industries aren't right, but the landscape is right.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Guildmaster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Guildmaster »

You canplay tto in windows xp , or any other sistem (i think so ) with DOS-box and d-fend ( they work for any other DOS-based game) you can get tto and the programs (50-60mb total ) here : http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/
davidx123
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by davidx123 »

well,im started play tto only yesterday.
but,the mono-bridge really look nicer,also the GUI,the road/rail/airport/sea port
menus.also the farm are better(only when they yellow.i think it should be higher a bit,to look like a real field)
and how can i forget it?the vehicles(i really loved the leyland buss,and year after it the aec bus.sadly i don't yet played beyond 1931)
Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle.
____
Visit my screenshot thread

thanks to Supercheese for help with the GIF.cheers.
B-b0y
Engineer
Engineer

Post by B-b0y »

I believe TTO has a zeppelin that would fly above ur airport and then burn into flames. That might still be in TTD but I've never seen it in there.
It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer. - Anonymous
caveatemptor
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by caveatemptor »

I only just remembered how great the original theme music was when I listened to it there. I only played TTO very briefly and it was a while ago so TBH I don't really remember all that many differences between the two. I do miss the original music though, and against TTD it has the advantage of the original names.
nuff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nuff »

I miss the buggy null-modem multiplayer feature when you had to press the connect button atleast 30 times before you eventually got connected.
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

I think the main thing I miss is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i--OYRsWyM as I said as a comment on that video, I really did like the theme.

And on OTTD they've completely removed the intro to TTD.

In my opinion, on some games, the intro is better then the actual game-play so the intro counts a lot for the games I play.

Also, I miss the music on TTO (Just an idea, but Perhaps OTTD could have it again for they're project to make it a stand-alone game that doesn't need any files because it would be stand-alone to bring back some of the original transport tycoon back into the game).

And to the actual game play now.

One thing I noticed about the gameplay when I switched to TTD was the monorail bridges.

Even I knew that monorails didn't have those sorts of bridges (It was probably Transport Tycoon that made me think that in the first place since I had no internet connection at the time).

And the tutorials (Even though TTD fits into the category, it is still something I miss in OTT because neither games work on windows XP, so it still does come in this thread).

Both TTD and OTT had they're tutorials, They helped me get into the role of how everything works in a matter of minutes (Which is very fast), But with OTTD you don't have tutorials anymore (there isn't an option anymore for the tutorials that OTTD provided) and so you end up with new players playing on a game with no knowledge about the game what so ever and so the learning progress is so much slower and sometimes, other players have to actually teach you how to play. So with OTTD it took me a lot longer to learn everything about the game then the previous versions.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

nuff wrote:I miss the buggy null-modem multiplayer feature when you had to press the connect button atleast 30 times before you eventually got connected.
Damn, I actually remember that. x_x Transport Tycoon multiplayer wasn't really viable until openTTD, as the official version were all buggy regarding it... if you were lucky enough to get it working, it probably would desync after 20-30 years of playing.
Grall3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Grall3 »

Last edited by Grall3 on 25 Jan 2011 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Grall3 wrote:I miss the first train, the "Jinty Class Steam". I really wish someone would bring it into OTTD...
Great reply

- in a topic dead for ~1 year
- in a topic for TTO when you mention OpenTTD

Please actually check where you post next time and consider if your addition is worth digging up a dead topic.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Hyronymus wrote:
Grall3 wrote:I miss the first train, the "Jinty Class Steam". I really wish someone would bring it into OTTD...
Great reply

- in a topic dead for ~1 year
- in a topic for TTO when you mention OpenTTD

Please actually check where you post next time and consider if your addition is worth digging up a dead topic.
The topic may have been quiet for 4 years now,but I think that identifying things missed about TT as things one would like to see brought into OpenTTD is entirely appropriate,and it is always better to revive a topic in which something you want to say has already been said than to start a duplicate.

The Jinty was just the first of several TT vehicles from the 1930-50 period that got lost in the switch from 1930-2030 to 1950-2050 that came with going from TT to TTD.Its presence puts its more powerful upgrade,the Collett Pannier/Kirby Paul,into perspective.
While NARS has a "Jinty" its specs are not the original TT Jinty,and while there's a NewGRF to replace the default vehicle set with TT's,there's none I know of that simply adds the missing ones and leaves the rest alone.

I was playing TT in DOSBox on Windows XP until my XP machine crashed,but I haven't been able to get TT to run in DOSBox on a FreeBSD machine.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is the Jezulkim Jinty available via Online Content?

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”