What do you miss in TTO?

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
Arael
Engineer
Engineer

What do you miss in TTO?

Post by Arael »

What features do you miss in TTO, which later versions lack or which have been changed? Do you still play the original only from time to time, to remember "the good old days" or is there anything in particular keeping you faithful to the origins?

(I shouldn't be saying it in this section, but it might also help make a mod for the OpenTTD, to bring out the best of both worlds :D)

Things I personally miss are aesthetic:
- company colors. Much better than the new ones screwing up my eyes.
- the old GUI - the window graphics. It took me some time to get used when I first saw TTD.
- So, here's this train full of illegal alcohol. I stamp here, and all the alcohol magically evaporates, leaving pure mineral water...
Hunnuli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hunnuli »

I think a mix of the two's company colors would be best. Also The window interface does take a little while to adjust from. .but it doesn't bother me much either way.

I however prefer TTO's farms(personally I have never seen a farm larger then a even a small city in my life so meh) and it's vehicles and when they come in.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

One way signals are definately something that's missing from TTO.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Back in the old-old days I always played TTO and never wanted to play TTD. I just saw it as some cheap extension with very busy graphics. Rainforests made me mad, farmfields were too much, etc. etc.

Then at one moment I just switched... probably cause of TTDPatch and never came back.

But this is kinda off-topic...sorry
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

What I miss the most from TTO, is the more varied landscape tiles. More than one type of rocky landscape, more than one type of rough land. Etc, Etc...
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

What do I miss from TTO... I don't know, the whole thing had a 'classic' feel to it really. I can't really point out just one thing, to be honest. ;)
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

-The Landscape
-Monorail graphics.
-The Menu colours.
Vimpster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimpster »

One feature I very much miss from TTO is the town growth system it had. To explain, what I mean is that the towns would start small with no sidewalks. As they grew they would have sidewalks and then as they grew further they would have trees that would line the streets and then they would lastly get street lights to line the streets. Additionally, my favorite part, if you serviced a city to its maximum potential the city would bust byond its 8000 maximum pop and turn into a megacity reaching pops of 12000 - 25000.

TTD didn't have it nor does Loco and I'm very disappointed about that.
Some said it was a bug in TTO that you could get mega cities but I find that very hard to believe seeing as the TTO manual even showed pictures of a megacity and the fact that you would get a megacity only if you worked hard to service a city to its maximum production of people which seemed like a logical, and very fun, feature as oppose to a bug. In Loco the problem is the opposite though because every city becomes a megacity even if you only service it to the minnimal amount possible which takes all the fun out of it and makes so that every city is a megacity instead of having some cities stay smaller like they should. If Loco had the same town growth system as TTO then Loco would be the ultimate game for me.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I too miss the city growth system, and the locos and when they came in. I liked TTO's farms better myself.

I liked the fact that steel mills, factories, etc. would produce a minimal amount, even if not fed raw materials. That was good.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

The monorail bridge! that was cool! :)
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

All of that can be had in TTD, though. Either through patch settings or through new .grf files.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
fletch5535
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fletch5535 »

I miss the ability to remove through roads in towns (by laying tracks across them to gain ownership, and then bulldozing) to clear space for stations etc..

TTD doesn't let you do this - you can bulldoze your track away, but the city's road remains intact. You can remove dead end roads (from the dead end inwards to its junction), but I have not yet found a way to remove a through road (but I'm still new to TTD).

I do like the much better signals in TTD, and the fact you can put them on horizontal and vertical tracks, not just diagonals.
Keep on rollin'
Fletch
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

fletch5535 wrote:TTD doesn't let you do this - you can bulldoze your track away, but the city's road remains intact. You can remove dead end roads (from the dead end inwards to its junction), but I have not yet found a way to remove a through road (but I'm still new to TTD).
With TTDP, you can dynamite any city road, if your local authority rating is high enough. :)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

PikkaBird wrote:
fletch5535 wrote:TTD doesn't let you do this - you can bulldoze your track away, but the city's road remains intact. You can remove dead end roads (from the dead end inwards to its junction), but I have not yet found a way to remove a through road (but I'm still new to TTD).
With TTDP, you can dynamite any city road, if your local authority rating is high enough. :)
apart tunnel (due to bug or error in latest TTDPatch)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

old locomotives...terrain...farms...city growth...and the start theme music...thats all
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

what i miss.... the MAIN thing i miss...

My old game saves :cry:
I wish i could get them back! Best games ever they were :P
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I miss TT landscape and town growth mode. I also miss the UFO graphics (big ufo was green IIRC). I miss original monorail graphics and monorail bridges.
And of course, old vehicles:
old locomotives
Hopefully Born Acorn has made a grf with TT vehicles :)
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

Gurluas2000 wrote:the start theme music...
You can get it here: http://www.tt-ms.de
Or a nicer mp3 version here: http://users.tt-forums.net/jfs/
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

i meant ingame... in openttd i tried adding it but max musics r 21...i needs recoding...
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

You'll need dxmci.dll for that, get it here: http://home.amis.net/lkslavi/ download version 1.2.

Then put one of the mp3 files to your ttd midi folder and rename the file to gm_tt00.gm (if you put it to gm folder)

Then start ttdp and you'll hear the nice tto title music again :D

You won't need dxmci.dll if you use midi.
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”