Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:08 pm 

planetmaker wrote:
And even for other palettes, you can simply tell grfcodec which palette to use, read from external palette files:
Code:
Built-in palettes: use -p <number>, where <number> is one of the following:
   1  DOS TTD
   2  Windows TTD
   3  DOS TTD, Candyland
   4  Windows TTD, Candyland
   5  TT Original
   6  TT Original, Mars landscape

External palette files: use -p [type:]filename.
[type:] can be bcp, psp, or gpl.  (Other formats may become available later.)
If the type is omitted, bcp is assumed.

bcp   binary coded palette with the same format as the palette in a PCX
   file: 256 triples of red, green and blue encoded in bytes.
psp   the palette format output by Paintshop Pro
gpl   the palette format output by The GIMP.

Than you OzTrans and planetmaker for the extra info. Will have a go at seeing if I can find the crash date in the exe in a hex editor and try to change that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Gurluas2000 wrote:
Unfortunately, my knowledge of coding is VERY meager, and my knowledge of DOS coding is non-existant.
If you asked me to mod World of Warcraft I could do it, which I have but... Decoding a DOS game, I have absolutely no idea how. We have a lot of people who reverse engineered the TTD client, and a lot of people who rewrote the game into OpenTTD, one of them may have an idea?

If I could have done it myself, I would have a long time ago.
I am not asking for help because I am lazy, but because we could unlock a fully playable pre-release version of TTO, a true treasure in the development process of our lovable Transport Tycoon.

;(

i know this is, old but i wanna know... did anyone had sum luck with passing 1932?

In the almost nine years that you've been waiting for somebody else to fix this for you, while bemoaning that you don't have the skills to do it yourself, you could have attended college, obtained a PhD in computer programming, reversed engineered the program and released your own patch. And probably done a bunch more awesome things, including becoming a contributor to TTO/TTD/TTDPatch/OpenTTD.

There is a point where you stop waiting for others to do for you, and you start finding your own way.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

9 years is enough to collect money and hire somebody to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

kamnet wrote:
Gurluas2000 wrote:
Unfortunately, my knowledge of coding is VERY meager, and my knowledge of DOS coding is non-existant.
If you asked me to mod World of Warcraft I could do it, which I have but... Decoding a DOS game, I have absolutely no idea how. We have a lot of people who reverse engineered the TTD client, and a lot of people who rewrote the game into OpenTTD, one of them may have an idea?

If I could have done it myself, I would have a long time ago.
I am not asking for help because I am lazy, but because we could unlock a fully playable pre-release version of TTO, a true treasure in the development process of our lovable Transport Tycoon.

;(

i know this is, old but i wanna know... did anyone had sum luck with passing 1932?

In the almost nine years that you've been waiting for somebody else to fix this for you, while bemoaning that you don't have the skills to do it yourself, you could have attended college, obtained a PhD in computer programming, reversed engineered the program and released your own patch. And probably done a bunch more awesome things, including becoming a contributor to TTO/TTD/TTDPatch/OpenTTD.

There is a point where you stop waiting for others to do for you, and you start finding your own way.

Well I've always been horrible at Math, and my job is far away from reverse engineering DOS coding.
But really, I am amazed it's been nine years...

And thanks Roboboy ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Anybody can improve themselves, if they choose to do so. In 2009 I knew nothing at all about GRFCodec, sprites or building a NewGRF. Today I still don't know much at all, but in that time in-between I've managed to learn how to fix and modify a few NewGRFs from other people, and release a few of my own.

Very few people in this world have true talent. The rest of us have to fake it and keep educating ourselves until we are competent.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 pm 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

I have tried to get Math, believe me.. It just never worked out.
Some people get it, other's don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 am 

I am no good at Maths either, but I managed to learn how to program.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:18 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

kamnet wrote:
The rest of us have to fake it and keep educating ourselves until we are competent.
After 60+ years I'm still looking for that competent part. The fake part was easy, but now that's getting harder to accomplish as well. :cry:

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:55 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Gurluas2000 wrote:
I have tried to get Math, believe me.. It just never worked out.
Some people get it, other's don't.

As with any skill you're trying to learn, at first you will suck, but after a lot of practice you will improve. For some people it is just quicker with math. As someone who is relatively math-minded it also took me a while to understand stuff (higher order differential equations, WTF) but after a lot of studying it eventually clicks :)

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:40 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

I came across another interesting screenshot I thought was worth sharing. It's a scan from issue 17 of a games magazine called Edge, published in February 1995. Note the different-looking small airport and bus terminals!

This means that there are at least two unknown pre-release versions of the game that were sent to press for review.

Attachments:
tto_press_version.jpg
tto_press_version.jpg [ 81.83 KiB | Viewed 14948 times ]