OPEN TTD NEW NAME!!!???

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

awrenton
Engineer
Engineer

OPEN TTD NEW NAME!!!???

Post by awrenton »

Transport Tycoon was originally named "I.T.S.", which is short for "Interactive Transport Simulation".
It was only because the game went to Microprose that it became transport tycoon to fit in with 'railroad tycoon"

i renembered reading chris sawyers site and went back could be new name or not?
Last edited by awrenton on 02 Aug 2004 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Bouke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bouke »

I like your idea although the name is boring and it doesn't remember of "transport tycoon" easily.
Rich Cook wrote:Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

I suppose it could have been good in its day but how many interactive transport simulations are there now? Also a game needs a catchy name to be popular, and well, that sucks. :P
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
fantux
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fantux »

lucaspiller wrote:Also a game needs a catchy name to be popular, and well, that sucks. :P
And you think that (o)TTD is not yet popular enough? :roll:
Ceptorian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ceptorian »

I like the name OpenTTD ... everyone know it is open-source and TransportTycoonDeluxe.
Many other opensource-projects has the OPEN inside. OpenOffice.... OpenSSL... OpenSSH....

I don't think it is very good when you have a name like "super-perfect-simulation" :roll: no one knows that it is Transport-Tycoon... and TT has many fans ;)
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

fantux wrote:And you think that (o)TTD is not yet popular enough? :roll:
I am afraid I don't. Version 0.3.3 has had less than five thousand downloads, 0.3.2.1 has had around ten thousand so this version could catch up but that still isn't really that much. I expect there are many more TTDPatch users who are out there....
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
awrenton
Engineer
Engineer

how

Post by awrenton »

if the long term the aim is to dress open ttd in new graphics to be different i think a different name is needed . and open ttd is crummy the hours people are putting in it needs a new name,intro to make it different.
open ttd has made a better sequal that chris sawyer could himself also how is the suggested name not catchy
Last edited by awrenton on 04 Aug 2004 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Ceptorian wrote:I like the name OpenTTD ... everyone know it is open-source and TransportTycoonDeluxe.
Yes, however I wish the developers wouldn't so mislead people as to the origins of the code (reminiscent of MS and SCO) - "modeled [sic] after" my hind ;)
Many other opensource-projects has the OPEN inside. OpenOffice.... OpenSSL... OpenSSH....
As do many closed ones, like OpenGL (just try getting hold of usable GLUT source), the Open Software Federation, and a number of projects which call themselves "open source" but don't meet the requirements. It also stinks of bandwagonesque unoriginality.

A more original name, and a little more honesty, are most definitely in order.
awrenton
Engineer
Engineer

Post by awrenton »

.....based on transport tycoon then? chris sawyer comes and smashes your door down

he did however send me signed instruction books when rct 2 came out the insructions books signed with a rct sticky note letter

i tried again a few days ago and looked what happened

No; Chris is a very private person and never does public appearances.

At 04:25 01/08/04, you wrote:

Hello

Will chris sawyer appear at the gamestar event in london?

Andrew

Guy Herbert
Commercial Consultant
Marjacq: 34 Devonshire Place: London W1G 6JW
t: +44 (0)20-7935-9499 f: +44 (0)20-7935-9115
http://www.marjacq.com/

Return to “General OpenTTD”