Lack of available vehicles

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MT3269
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Lack of available vehicles

Post by MT3269 »

Having 3 loco's available in 1940 is kinda disappointing , especially when only 2 are good for anything. Where are the EMUs? they were around well b4 then.

One brand of truck is bad to start with sux ,if this was real life there'd be no competition between manufacturers.

I rarely use planes if ever ,there's no point having planes for such short distances let alone these multi million super sonic ones when a bus could equal the total time for each trip when you take into account waiting times/transport to airport etc so I rely on land transport.

When will we see more vehicles for openttd/openttd bigmap?

What about some EMD loco's for example with the "bulldog" design ,plenty were built during the steam replacement era and still operate today.

Are there any new vehicle projects underway?
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Lack of available vehicles

Post by Storwin »

Trainskier1406 wrote:Having 3 loco's available in 1940 is kinda disappointing , especially when only 2 are good for anything. Where are the EMUs? they were around well b4 then.
The game originally doesn't start until 1950. If you want earlier trains you can try something like DBset - you can prolly find some thread about how to set it up with OTTD in the forum
Trainskier1406 wrote:One brand of truck is bad to start with sux ,if this was real life there'd be no competition between manufacturers.
Well, IIRC, there are about 20 types road vehicles. Given that you need at least 8 sprites for each type for each of the current three(!) generations of vehicles, you would have to make 480 new sprites to just to add another brand of road vehicles. That is, as I see it, the main reason that nobody has done it yet :)
Trainskier1406 wrote:I rarely use planes if ever ,there's no point having planes for such short distances let alone these multi million super sonic ones when a bus could equal the total time for each trip when you take into account waiting times/transport to airport etc so I rely on land transport.
You can actually earn more money with a singe plane that I've ever seen any train do (Try flying goods all the way across the map and watch the income)
If you're unable to make money with planes, you haven't tried hard enough.
Trainskier1406 wrote:When will we see more vehicles for openttd/openttd bigmap?
What about some EMD loco's for example with the "bulldog" design ,plenty were built during the steam replacement era and still operate today.
Are there any new vehicle projects underway?
Actually, if you browse the forums a little, you'll discover that you can import the new vehicles made for TTDpatch to OTTD - and there's a lot of projects with new vehicles already.
MT3269
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MT3269 »

Thanks

I tried the latest release with some new graphics but not having ANY trains available in 2050 isn't too appealing ,Is there any way to make the newgrfs work with biggermaps?

And the new trains seem to have overwritten the default ones ,how do I get the defaults back?
tmesisbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tmesisbob »

Basically we need refitable lorrys. That way we can concentrate on variety.

For the graphics, just use a composite two piece sprite:
1) the lorry cab compartment
2)the cargo section.

The cargo sections could be used for many different lorrys.
Sir_Magnum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir_Magnum »

Basically we need refitable lorrys. That way we can concentrate on variety.

For the graphics, just use a composite two piece sprite:
1) the lorry cab compartment
2)the cargo section.
Woulden´t it be nice to be able to connect a trailer to the truck, that behaves like a real trailer, not the ones in newgrf patch? (It would probably behave like an railway wagon)

So I'd say:
1)the lorry cab compartment
2)the lorry cargo section
3)the trailer compartment
4)the trailer cargo section
Don't ever argue with an idiot, first he will bring you down to his low level, then beat you with his experience...

Return to “General OpenTTD”