Signalling

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mpettitt
Engineer
Engineer

Signalling

Post by mpettitt »

Having seen a range of types of signalling in games posted to these forums, I decided to have a look and see what sort of signalling gave the best results.
Attached is a test file: unpause it and watch. You might be surprised :D
Attachments
signals.sav
Saved using SVN version 947, IIRC
(15.83 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

if you take all the same trains (max speed) the difference isn't as high as in your sample.
I don't like it setting signal at each tile, in reality the range between signals is min. the length of a train plus ??
mpettitt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mpettitt »

Bernhard wrote:if you take all the same trains (max speed) the difference isn't as high as in your sample.
I know... With a couple of Dashs running first, the two test lines are dreadful...
Bernhard wrote:I don't like it setting signal at each tile, in reality the range between signals is min. the length of a train plus ??
Sounds about right: it's partly to do with acceleration and braking distance, as well as safety margins. If you have a longer gap between the signals, there is a longer period of time for the trains to get moving when the signal goes green before having to stop. That means the trains are running at a higher average speed, even if they physically stop more frequently than with signals on every block.
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

In real life, high-speed trains don't use signals at all. At least not the way they are implemented in *TT* :)

Celestar

Return to “General OpenTTD”