Sydney Australia Scenario Feedback

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lepton137
Engineer
Engineer

Sydney Australia Scenario Feedback

Post by lepton137 »

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I have spent some time trying to create a heightmap/scenario of the Greater Sydney Region. At this point I was hoping to get some feedback on the direction of the scenario and share the generated height map.

I actually sourced the height map from http://pid.geoscience.gov.au/dataset/ga/89644 under the creative commons licence. Its a compilation of LiDAR surveys over a few years, so theres a few data issues in places. The height ranges from 0m to 358m and I have the elevation model (DEM is too big to attach here).
Sydney-OpenTTD.png
(2.41 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I've tried messing around with the scaling around #000000 to try and produce reasonable looking sea boarders for in-game.
I attempted to place suburbs based on a 1940's map, but ended up placing towns based on current train station locations. I've attached (a very rough) scenario file (version OpenTTD 12.0-RC1) if people were interested in looking.
My main concerns I am hoping to get feedback on are:
* How to map natural terrain to a playable/reasonable heightmap.
* What industries I should focus on (historical versus something more balanced).
* Should I look at the Sydney Trains set and continue to expand based on existing (real-life) train network.
* Would it be worth considering the old tram network.
Attachments
Sydney.scn
(376.73 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Sydney Australia Scenario Feedback

Post by GarryG »

Hi, I started a Sydney scenario back in 2015 but got side tracked coding. I worked it to a scale of 25 tiles per 1000 Meters. Based on the train set for the game a carriage is approximately 20 Meters and game fits 2 per tile.

Can not view the one you doing just now as not at my computer till tomorrow.

Not sure if mine will load as all the newgrf files are old.

Best of luck with your work.

I planning soon to work on the northern division from Cowan. Stange scale I be using. 25-1 for suburban area and when get north of Maitland as section so long. Work on 10 tiles to a km

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
lepton137
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepton137 »

Thanks GarryG, setting the scale based on carriage makes a lot of sense. I'll probably have to double check the ratio.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Are you from OZ? If your after diagrams of all those stations and they was originally .. ARHS has them all on CD/DVD called NSW Track and Signal Diagram.
Soot Happens
Ragin1_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragin1_ »

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I have spent some time trying to create a heightmap/scenario of the Greater Sydney Region. At this point I was hoping to get some feedback on the direction of the scenario and share the generated height map.
Always good to see more people giving content making a go :)
How to map natural terrain to a playable/reasonable heightmap.
You should try and either reduce the maximum map height when generating the base map or adjust the Black/White levels on the actual heightmap. This way you get more realistic flat terrain while also having the mountain peaks, if you want, I'll gladly lend a hand because it can take a lot of experimenting.
What industries I should focus on (historical versus something more balanced).
You can always do multiple versions of the map with different industry layouts. It really comes down to who you're making the map for, more realism focused players will probably want real industries to play with while more gameplay focused players just want a larger variety. The main issue you'd run into with a historical industry layout is that Sydney doesn't really have any major heavy industries IRL, most of NSW's heavy industry is either in Wollongong or Newcastle.
hould I look at the Sydney Trains set and continue to expand based on existing (real-life) train network.
Those are the main suburbs you should include first and foremost, since those are the suburbs that will be the most relevant to players. Once you've got those done, you should work on including the other suburbs.
Would it be worth considering the old tram network.
Very much so in my opinion, even though Sydney's original tram network is long gone, it still leaves a very important legacy in the city :)

If you do need anyone who knows's a thing or two about Sydney or just content making in general, I'd be glad to lend a hand. I'm trying to get a job with Sydney Trains atm so I need an excuse to further build my road knowledge. Otherwise, good luck :)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Ragin1_ wrote: 18 Oct 2021 10:51 Always good to see more people giving content making a go
Agree.

This may or may not help .. it A spreadsheet I was making back in 2015 for the scenario I started. You be surprised how many stations had a good siding and some other industry.

I found some Industries that was not included in Industry sets and objects at the time, so I start coding my own and never got to finish these spreadsheets. I need to wait till I return to Australia (I stuck in Philippine) hopefully February next year.

Hope these help in some way.
Attachments
NSW Railway Stations.xlsx
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
NSW Sydney Metropolitan.xlsx
(547.31 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Soot Happens

Return to “General OpenTTD”