When Industries stop accepting cargo.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

When Industries stop accepting cargo.

Post by mauried »

Just after some suggestions of how everyone handles this problem.
Sometimes I miss the announcement that some industry has stopped accepting some commodity and then the trucks and trains delivering stuff to that industry just run around in circles.
Sometimes its possible to find another industry to take the stuff being delivered but not always.
Is there any kind of warehouse or storage facility that you can take stuff too, and at a later time retrieve the stuff after the industries which stopped taking your stuff start taking it again.
tnx
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: When Industries stop accepting cargo.

Post by Eddi »

you can turn any station into a warehouse with the "transfer and leave empty" order. just make sure the station rating stays above 50%, or the cargo will simply vanish
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks , I did try that and the cargo vanished.
Didnt think about the rating, so Ill try again.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

my usual approach to keeping rating up is to get a truck (or forklift, or whatever) to drive in a circle, serving only this one station with a regular load order
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

If you play with FIRS, rabdom shutdowns don't happen iirc.

I don't really like them because they're very annoying and prefer playing without them.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

note that this is not about industries shutting down. rather industries temporarily stopping acceptance (stockpile limits)

whether you like that behaviour is entirely up to your preferences, which is why different industry sets behave differently. just don't try to tell other people that their way is wrong and they should switch to your way
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Eddi wrote: 01 Sep 2021 10:57 note that this is not about industries shutting down. rather industries temporarily stopping acceptance (stockpile limits)
Oops, my bad.
whether you like that behaviour is entirely up to your preferences, which is why different industry sets behave differently. just don't try to tell other people that their way is wrong and they should switch to your way
That is not what I was trying to say.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

I am playing JGRs version and the conditional orders that are available do allow you to automatically reroute your vehicles to other industries when one stops accepting stuff and even if 2 or 3 stop simultaenously you can keep the show going without any intervention.
Its actually a lot of fun to get this type of operation going, but you hit the wall when you run out of accepting industries.
Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with the vehicles while they arnt needed, and automatic refitting to carry something else is possible.
Im trying to ultimately make the entire game as automated as possible so me intervening is only needed when things go really bad.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Eddi wrote: 01 Sep 2021 08:41 my usual approach to keeping rating up is to get a truck (or forklift, or whatever) to drive in a circle, serving only this one station with a regular load order
This is also a great way to maintain the rating when you have a dock station that is serviced by large ships every now and then. Without this, the rating can drop dramatically between the ship visits, and the station may even cease to collect cargo.
Eddi wrote: 01 Sep 2021 08:35 you can turn any station into a warehouse with the "transfer and leave empty" order. just make sure the station rating stays above 50%, or the cargo will simply vanish
This will only work as long as the average rate at which the industry empties its internal stockpile is higher than the average rate of your cargo deliveries. As the cargo supply grows, the industry may become stuck in the overflow mode, and subsequent deliveries would never be accepted.

My solution to this problem is finding a second industry nearby that accepts the same cargo type. The vehicles would go to the second industry only if their load percentage is higher than 0 after stopping at the first one. For example, in ECS the power plant makes a great fallback destination for coal and/or oil depending on the era.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Im a little confused here.
What exactly does serving a station mean?
eg if a vehicle goes to a station to pick up stuff, but the vehicle is already full because it cant get rid of what its carrying, so it doesnt pick up anything, is this still counted as serving the station.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes. any vehicle sent with an order to "load" at the station counts, even if it doesn't actually load anything. ("no loading" orders do not count)
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Fantastic, thank you.

Return to “General OpenTTD”