Steam v Traditional

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Steam v Traditional

Post by JamesP »

Returning to OTTD after many years, I’ve taken what seemed like the easy option of getting it on Steam rather than by the traditional method.

But then I thought…with the base game being updated all the time, will Steam give me each of those updates automatically, and therefore is there a risk that an update makes my current game incompatible and I have to start again? When I build OTTD maps, I work on them for literally years and they end up pretty vast (my last one’s in the signature - built from 2010 to 2016!) so I can’t afford for an unreversible game update to kill it.

Am I misunderstanding how it works (as you may have spotted by now, IT isn’t my strong point) or would I be better downloading the game in the traditional way?

Thank you for your help.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Steam v Traditional

Post by Taschi »

Steam does automatically keep your game up to date.

Loading savegames from old versions of the game should generally work fine so you do not need to worry.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The Steam version is the exact same version as what is released directly by the OpenTTD developers, and it stays in-sync. All OSes/platforms are updated simultaneously. Steam also allows you to subscribe to beta/release candidate updates, but that is not enabled by default.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

And to add to that: if any old game fails to load in a newer version, that is a bug. And we take those bugs serious. You can still load your game from 2010 in the Steam version if you like, and continue playing ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

But if you want to keep playing a save in an older version until you're sure the game mechanics changes in a new version won't ruin anything (or you can repair your network after upgrading the game version), then no the Steam release is probably not the best choice.
JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Thank you all for your responses - that’s very helpful. The work that so many people do to provide this amazing game for free is incredible - and then we get advice and support which is better than any paid-for game I’ve ever played, too! :bow:
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

jfs wrote: 24 Aug 2021 12:04 But if you want to keep playing a save in an older version until you're sure the game mechanics changes in a new version won't ruin anything (or you can repair your network after upgrading the game version), then no the Steam release is probably not the best choice.
Not completely true, one could always use the "beta" branch for, say, "1.11.2" on Steam. This will not auto-upgrade your OpenTTD.
Basically, all our stable releases are also available as "beta" branch (it really isn't a beta, but that is how Steam calls this dialog), and will never change.

Not sure why I forget to mention this earlier :D
JamesP wrote: 24 Aug 2021 17:43 Thank you all for your responses - that’s very helpful. The work that so many people do to provide this amazing game for free is incredible - and then we get advice and support which is better than any paid-for game I’ve ever played, too! :bow:
Tnx for the kind words, much appreciated :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

TrueBrain wrote: 24 Aug 2021 17:58Basically, all our stable releases are also available as "beta" branch (it really isn't a beta, but that is how Steam calls this dialog), and will never change.
Unless that's changed in the last few weeks there's a limit to how many "beta" version Steam allows so you can't do that infinitely. The day will come ... :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”