OpenTTD 12.1 released!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 12.1 released!

Post by TrueBrain »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 12.0-beta1 released!

Post by DemianWSE »

Amazing news!!! :D :D :D Thanks to everyone in the OTTD Team! :bow: :bow: :bow:
DemianWSE
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Excellent, the new multiplayer system and newcargo-compatible default vehicles should massively reduce newbie confusion.

Now all that remains is to hide the presignals :wink:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Emperor Jake wrote: 16 Aug 2021 02:44 Now all that remains is to hide the presignals :wink:
Done, just without enough consensus on how many options should be available…
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

2TallTyler wrote: 17 Aug 2021 13:48 Done, just without enough consensus on how many options should be available…
  • Good signals only
  • Bad signals only
  • All signals
  • No Signals
  • Random selection
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Emperor Jake wrote: 16 Aug 2021 02:44 Excellent, the new multiplayer system and newcargo-compatible default vehicles should massively reduce newbie confusion.

Now all that remains is to hide the presignals :wink:
First thing to massively reduce newbie confusion is to reinvent this screen:
TTD_setings.jpg
TTD_setings.jpg (311.72 KiB) Viewed 4735 times

After OTTD came to the steam, steam suggested me to play it. I was happy to try it. I did install the game and clicked on the settings. After I saw this:
OTTD_setings_r.jpg
OTTD_setings_r.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 4735 times

I was very confused - :shock: ?( :?: 8o ohhh no no no this is not for me, it's for some geeks. And gave up.
Few moth later from the 3rd attempt I managed to start play OTTD and mostly because of this.

I wish I could save few different setups and load them quickly without poking in the settings screen every time I want to try different things on different maps. :bow: :roll: :bow:

Simple difficulty level screen like in the TTD would make OTTD much more new player friendly.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the settings get saved with every savegame. so you don't have to touch anything if you load an existing savegame, only when you want to start a new map.

also, you can make a copy of openttd.cfg, and load it with the "-c <filename>" option (should also work in "advanced startup settings" in steam)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

saus wrote: 18 Aug 2021 07:26 Simple difficulty level screen like in the TTD would make OTTD much more new player friendly.
Agreed. One can always go under Settings and fine-tune them later.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

SirkoZ wrote: 19 Aug 2021 07:03 Agreed. One can always go under Settings and fine-tune them later.
No - not all settings can be changed during a running game, for example there are many settings which are only pertinent to map generation.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD 12.0-beta2 released!

Post by Michi_cc »

OpenTTD 12.0-beta2 now available on GOG / Steam / our website.

It addresses a critical bug in 12.0-beta1 related to the improved networking support.

More details at https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/08/19 ... beta2.html
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Eddi wrote: 18 Aug 2021 17:26 the settings get saved with every savegame. so you don't have to touch anything if you load an existing savegame, only when you want to start a new map.

also, you can make a copy of openttd.cfg, and load it with the "-c <filename>" option (should also work in "advanced startup settings" in steam)
Your answer confirms - this game not for everyone - it's for at least advanced users. I don't think average PC user will be happy with your suggestion.
Some important difficulty settings aren't stored in the save game and some aren't in cfg. So for now I have 3 different cfg files. :? :roll:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

saus wrote: 19 Aug 2021 21:58I don't think average PC user will be happy with your suggestion.
to be fair, i think your "i want to completely revamp all my settings in each game" is a very niche use case, the "average PC user" will likely never encounter this problem
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Eddi wrote: 20 Aug 2021 06:38
to be fair, i think your "i want to completely revamp all my settings in each game" is a very niche use case, the "average PC user" will likely never encounter this problem
You are right
But in my case I'm not only user and player on my home PC. Everyone likes different settings. I did encounter - not all settings are saved in the save, not even in the openttd.cfg. They are somehow mixed between both.
I'm not profi and my family even less. When I'm away - how do I explain for a raw user - to make game work how "intended", before click "Play" he (she) must dive in to the folders and change the openttd.cfg to the exact openttd.cfg :shock: ?( :shock:

So it could be very nice and user friendly feature to let save few different setup profiles.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

saus wrote: 20 Aug 2021 08:34
So it could be very nice and user friendly feature to let save few different setup profiles.
that is true, but we already have a problem that there are way too many settings, and new people are frequently overwhelmed with trying to understand them all (while most of them are probably uninteresting for their use case, and wouldn't need understanding in the first place). adding this feature would add another layer on top of that, which might put off more people.

it's a complicated feature to design properly.
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Eddi wrote: 20 Aug 2021 09:33
that is true, but we already have a problem that there are way too many settings, and new people are frequently overwhelmed with trying to understand them all (while most of them are probably uninteresting for their use case, and wouldn't need understanding in the first place). adding this feature would add another layer on top of that, which might put off more people.

it's a complicated feature to design properly.
That's why 1st thing I asked for a simple difficulty level screen from original TTD with some (10-20) main difficulty settings and leave current for advanced users. I don't think it will put off people, quite opposite.

I'm not programmer and I have no clue how things are done. Just saying:
Current settings screen is very confusing and off putting for a new user (and sometimes even for experienced - I've seen Master Hellish got confused with settings)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this doesn't have much to do with programming. it's not very difficult to implement this. it's difficult to design this, for example:
  • you need to decide which settings to include or exclude from the "difficulty" presets, which will draw out any number of people who will derail you with bikeshedding.
  • you need to cater to different playstyles, where some settings matter more than others, but which aren't necessarily more "difficult"
  • you need some way to customize the presets. the original difficulty window had the problem that basically all people played "custom", which defeated the whole point.
  • in a next step, you should be able to share your customized "difficulty" settings with other people
... and this list gets longer and longer
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Ok then
May be it's possible to save setup in to the file and load when it's needed? For example:
my.setup
mydaughters.setup
formyfriend.setup
tinymap.setup
bigmap.setup
etc
A lot of software let you do so. It makes easy and quick to change settings and easy to share your setup to the whole world, without any drum dances around fire.
Last edited by saus on 20 Aug 2021 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

saus wrote: 20 Aug 2021 16:03 Ok then
May be it's possible to save setup in to the file and load when it's needed? For example:
my.setup
mydaughters.setup
formyfriend.setup
tinymap.setup
bigmap.setup
etc
A lot of software let you do so. It makes easy and quick to change settings and easy to share your setup to the whole world
OpenTTD already supports different configuration files per user by default. Settings are stored in %USERPROFILE%\OpenTTD (on Windows) or in ~/.openttd (on Linux) and those paths are different for every user.

If you want to save multiple openttd.cfg files, you can a) just copy and rename your settings file, and then rename it back when you want to use it, or b) use the '-c' parameter as suggested by Eddi. Option a) is definitely something an "average PC user" can do.
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Of course people who live in the ground floor easily can get home through the window. It's quite silly to make doors in the ground floors :idea:
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Taschi wrote: 20 Aug 2021 17:09

I refuse to engage with stupid non-arguments like this.
I already wrote down my arguments few posts above. Should I point every writer?
By the way nowadays average PC user have no clue how install something it isn't on the steam etc

Return to “General OpenTTD”