OpenTTD 12.1 released!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD 12.0-beta2 released!

Post by Eddi »

saus wrote: 20 Aug 2021 16:55 Of course people who live in the ground floor easily can get home through the window. It's quite silly to make doors in the ground floors :idea:
if you think your suggestion amounts to a front door in the context of this game, then you probably need to rethink your perspective.
saus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by saus »

Funny enough
Thing I was asking for is already in game for newgrf
OTTD_NGFR_02.jpg
OTTD_NGFR_02.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
So why it can't be over there?
OTTD_s02.jpg
OTTD_s02.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
By the way I've had a good dive into the boards. I'm not the first asking for this feature and quite a shame almost same people been opposing it for years.
And no worries - I did rethink my perspective - I will brick front door into my house :wink:
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

We still cannot decide to include some default AI in the game installer. That is, playing with CPU is not possible until you read the wiki and install AI yourself, which is much less obvious than the dev team thinks. Adding easy to use difficulty setting is asking too much from the dev team.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

pelya wrote: 25 Aug 2021 21:02 We still cannot decide to include some default AI in the game installer. That is, playing with CPU is not possible until you read the wiki and install AI yourself, which is much less obvious than the dev team thinks. Adding easy to use difficulty setting is asking too much from the dev team.
Because nobody currently "on the team" wants to maintain an AI in addition to the game itself. And if there was someone right now who wanted to, what would happen if that person left, or disappeared, and the AI suddenly was without maintainer. Stop shipping it as a feature, or keep shipping something that will be deteriorating and nobody can support?

As for "difficulty settings", it was already explained: It's not even clear what determines "difficulty" in the game. There can even be cases where a setting that is more difficult for one person is actually perceived as easier for another person. (Example, in the original TTD, the "trains reverse at stations" or "trains reverse at end of line only" was a difficulty setting, with the latter being considered "harder", but it turns out it's actually required to make certain Ro-Ro station builds work at all. So is it actually more difficult then?)
Is Cargo Distribution a difficulty setting? Are train wagon speed limits a difficulty setting? Is plane speed factor a difficulty setting? Is automatic reversing at signals a difficulty setting? Are the disasters a difficulty setting or just a leftover unfun game mechanic from a different era? Are random plane crashes a difficulty setting or a relic? Is default town road layout a difficulty setting? Is "smooth economy" a difficulty setting, and does it make things easier or harder?
Ask ten people and you get ten different answers to these.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

jfs wrote: 25 Aug 2021 23:02 Example, in the original TTD, the "trains reverse at stations" or "trains reverse at end of line only" was a difficulty setting, with the latter being considered "harder", but it turns out it's actually required to make certain Ro-Ro station builds work at all.
What are those builds? I'm just curious. I have always thought that the defining feature of a Ro-Ro station is that trains don't have to reverse.
LaChupacabra
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LaChupacabra »

jfs wrote: 25 Aug 2021 23:02 As for "difficulty settings", it was already explained: It's not even clear what determines "difficulty" in the game.
Well, of the settings available in the game, in my opinion there are actually only a few that can be objectively considered as game difficulty settings.

- maximum amount of the loan
- infrastructure maintenance (on/off)
- crisis (on/off)
- vehicle breakdowns
- planes speed*
- number of plane crashes*
- possibility of founding raw industries

All the others are already preferences and playstyle settings. For me, even planes speed and crashes are more of a preference setting, and as difficulty settings will mainly work in game without add-ons.

However, I think that being able to save and select a preset like this would be something quite useful. The availability of ready-made settings wouldn't be bad either. Not necessarily only easy/medium/hard. I think more contemporary settings like "Classic TT" or "Cargodist" could also be interesting. It could also be made so that the selection of a game preset could be linked to a NewGRF preset - if the presets has the same name, the other preset would be turned on automatically.
Btw. For these easy/hard settings to make more sense, it would be useful to add multipliers from the Base Cost Mod to the game - that's what Spring2013 had.
Btw2. jfs, eddi ... don't be nervous, these are just fantasies. ;)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

LaChupacabra wrote: 26 Aug 2021 06:55 Well, of the settings available in the game, in my opinion there are actually only a few that can be objectively considered as game difficulty settings.
On the other hand, there is a gazillion of settings that impact game difficulty, like pretty much everything relating to cargodist, cargo generation factors, arguably even the pathfinder settings... and therefor, separating the "objective" difficulty settings you stated from all the other settings doesn't make the user experience less confusing but arguably does the exact opposite.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this is exactly what i was talking about when i said the feature is difficult to design properly. as soon as you start a discussion, you get 10 people that think they talk about the same thing, but mean something completely different.

like saying "almost no setting is a difficulty setting" and also saying "almost all settings affect difficulty".

or "there are too many settings, it's confusing people" vs. "it would be less confusing if there were more settings"

and the worst thing about this is, all of those statements can be true at the same time.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Yes - UX design is hard.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

This new players menu is inconvenient when somebody is willing to go into spectate mode.
Please bring back spectate button available directly in "online players" pulldown menu, to many mouse movement/pointer targeting is involved now.
And going spectate is crucial for servers which stop game without active players (it is always better to go afk rather than log out and in and load map).

Edit: also small but annoying quirk: when object construction window is opened, it is focused on filter string, therefore it is not possible to quickly close this window using DEL key.
mytreds
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mytreds »

Just my 2c- I am relatively new to openttd (been playing for a couple of months) and I didn’t find the menus confusing at all. I think you’ve done pretty well to explain things, and anything I didn’t understand I would search and learn on my own. I find part of the fun of the game is learning something new every time I hit play. My thanks to those who put the time and effort into this game.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This could well be just me, but I set my Steam OpenTTD to run on Betas and RCs and it won't launch anymore. Even reverting to the standard versions keeps the issue. A blank screen loads but no error messages are displayed. I did try reinstalling it, and obviously rebooting. It seems to run fine when downloaded the "regular" way.
Attachments
openttd_beta_steam.png
(69.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kumarabhinavv9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kumarabhinavv9 »

the settings get saved with every savegame. so you don't have to touch anything if you load an existing savegame, only when you want to start a new map.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

McZapkie wrote: 03 Sep 2021 11:45Edit: also small but annoying quirk: when object construction window is opened, it is focused on filter string, therefore it is not possible to quickly close this window using DEL key.
I've created a PR to fix this.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD 12.0-RC1 released!

Post by TrueBrain »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenTTD 12.0 released!

Post by TrueBrain »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

OpenTTD 12.1 released!

Post by jfs »

And 12.1 is now released!
https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/11/08/openttd-12-1
We thought it time for a bugfix release.

We’ve addressed some of the more prominent criticisms of the 12.0 release along with a few others. Notably the scrolling titlescreen will no longer scroll when you’re interacting with the game (and fixed the occasional crash) and we’ve added a nice button to reenable the advanced signals that we’re pretty sure you don’t need to be using anyway.

Feature: Button to toggle showing advanced signal types (#9617)
Change: Don't show screenshot GUI in screenshots (#9674)
Change: Suppress panning in intro game, while user is interacting with the GUI (#9645)
Change: Draw rotor in cursor when dragging helicopters in depots (#9612)
Fix: Invalid memory access when loading a currency NewGRF (#9675)
Fix #9579: Object and HQ construction is Construction cost, not Property Maintenance (#9673)
Fix #9669: Ships exiting a blocked depot/lock could exit in the wrong direction (#9672)
Fix: Every 16th client never reconnects after server restart (#9666)
Fix #9643: Screenshots were always written as BMP files (#9644)
Fix #9630: Intro game could zoom in/out more than allowed by settings (#9633)
Fix #9626: Incorrect loading of script saved data (#9629)
Fix: Emergency crash save had the wrong NewGRF list saved in it (#9627)
Fix #9595: Always use plural forms of cargo for subsidy strings (#9619)
Fix #9614: Refresh rate dropdown was still active when vsync was enabled (#9618)
Fix: Don't use 'server address' string in server list when displaying an invite code (#9615)
leoben.bsg03
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 12.1 released!

Post by leoben.bsg03 »

Hi guys,

awesome release, but could someone please check your build pipeline over at gog.com?

You can see here: https://www.gogdb.org/product/1293297882#builds
that Windows and MacOS builds for version 12.1 have been transfered with date 2021-11-09.

But when you look at the downloads over here: https://www.gogdb.org/product/1293297882#downloads
(or just at gog.com itself) there 's just version 1.11.2 available. (Windows, MacOs and Linux)

Where is it stuck? Same thing happened before for version 12.0.

Thank you!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

This appears to be an issue with GOG itself and out of OpenTTD developers' hands. Somebody has reached out to them to see what's happening, though.
leoben.bsg03
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leoben.bsg03 »

The issue has been fixed yesterday, download of version 12.1 for all platforms is now possible.
Thank you for reaching out to gog.com for getting their stuff together!

Return to “General OpenTTD”