Are there any NewGRFs for industrial workers?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kcl504sandboxgamer
Engineer
Engineer

Are there any NewGRFs for industrial workers?

Post by kcl504sandboxgamer »

Simutrans have industrial workers by default, but OpenTTD lacks this, and that's unrealistic. So is there any NewGRFs for industrial workers or industries with workers?

P.S. Vanilla steel mills will accept passengers, but not produce passengers. But what happened to all the other industries that don't have workers?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Are there any NewGRFs for industrial workers?

Post by Taschi »

kcl504sandboxgamer wrote: 13 Aug 2021 16:16 Vanilla steel mills will accept passengers, but not produce passengers.
I am able to reproduce this in jgrpp 0.42.2. I am pretty sure it is a bug, not intended behavior.
MLG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MLG »

Taschi wrote: 13 Aug 2021 17:56 I am able to reproduce this in jgrpp 0.42.2. I am pretty sure it is a bug, not intended behavior.
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Base ... eel%20Mill
There is nothing about PAX production, I also think, that on thee old wiki there was statement, that it is intented in this way (it was maybe in TT(D) like that)...
Take a look at this ancient thread too: viewtopic.php?t=40611
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Well, I guess it is just a quirk that we'll have to live with.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

In the Wasteland set, all types of mines accept Wastelanders as an optional boost cargo. If you collect Wastelanders from a town without supplying food and water, the town will shrink and will eventually stop producing them.

In the Industries of the Caribbean set, every industry requires workers to function. Also, the economy is quire different from the standard one: primary cargo types have negative payment rates, and you can earn money only by exporting goods.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

MLG wrote: 13 Aug 2021 18:45
Taschi wrote: 13 Aug 2021 17:56 I am able to reproduce this in jgrpp 0.42.2. I am pretty sure it is a bug, not intended behavior.
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Base ... eel%20Mill
There is nothing about PAX production, I also think, that on thee old wiki there was statement, that it is intented in this way (it was maybe in TT(D) like that)...
Take a look at this ancient thread too: viewtopic.php?t=40611
Now I'm worried about what's REALLY in the steel? :shock:
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

kcl504sandboxgamer wrote: 13 Aug 2021 16:16 Simutrans have industrial workers by default, but OpenTTD lacks this, and that's unrealistic. So is there any NewGRFs for industrial workers or industries with workers?
I use FIRS Industry and there's no possibility for that. BUT ... you can do this by detour. For few my big industrial zones I use PLAZA AS INDUSTRY. It accepts and produces passengers. If you don't want to see plaza, you can hide it behind big factories or with overlapping eyecandy objects, as you can see bellow.
Attachments
FR_PLAZAIND.gif
FR_PLAZAIND.gif (8.14 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Ive found so far 5 industries that accept passengers.
Steel Mills,Vehicle Factories,Furniture Factories,Power Plants and Printing Works.
Theres 2 industries that accept passengers for the wrong reasons ,The Soylent Green factory that makes goods , and the Soylent Black factory makes oil, both are brilliant ideas.
It seems a reasonable idea that supplying workers to Industries would make them produce more, although some care would have to be taken to make sure the economy wasnt affected.
If there was a class of people called workers, much as there are tourists, and workers were harder to find then providing workers to industries would be similar to providing vehicles to industries.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Manpower industry and Improved town industry they also accept passengers. I think it can also be set in SPI using parameters.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

SPI can use manpower for primary industries, but only regular PASS cargo, no special worker cargo.
Also YETI uses some kind of special weird workers for it's industries.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

There should be no problems for any industry set including "workers". Especially not today when the game allows more than the original 2/3 output/input cargoes.

I had included such scheme already in 2007 in my ECS implementation.

regards
Michael
Last edited by kamnet on 17 Aug 2021 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link to right location.

Return to “General OpenTTD”