Server list filter script

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

WalkedBy
Engineer
Engineer

Server list filter script

Post by WalkedBy »

Just noticed every time I return to try to play OpenTTD once each 3 yeras I just spend about 4 hours trying to find a server to play and finding no good servers skipping for another 3 yeaars.
This is mostly because it's very hard to filter 300 servers and ingame instruments to do this are not helpful.

Here is solution to the problem:
ServParse v1.1.7z
micro fixes to support invites
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Let's ddos https://servers.openttd.org/listing ! Sorry, misspelled. I meant let's auto parse this list and using personal weighted rating system find the best currently awaliable server!

Unfourtanetly, I had R closeby (the most lamely named language ever existed) and RStudio (not so bad), so all job is done from wrong side, but it works. Script is attached, to run it you need to install R and RStudio.
Example image of what script must produce:

Suggestions:
- Introduce ingame server labeling, like ("favorite", "looks cool, but admins forgot to post password anywhere on the internet", "totally lame, do not show this server in the list anymore", may be smth else )
- Please, a bit more info with filtering would be really helpful.
1) For now, will be good to have favorite newgrf list and to see how much of these grf's are used on each server
2) Highest height point of map is very important thing now. Servers without mountains and rough terrain are almost boring nowadays.
Other details of my scoring are visible in the script. Probably will be quite defferent if someone will change scoring in the script for their preference.

Keywords to find this years later: Server filtering, parsing server list, finding server to play, (actuall, how to name this more fluently?)
Attachments
Untitled.png
(51.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by WalkedBy on 21 Aug 2021 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
WalkedBy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Server list filter script

Post by WalkedBy »

v1.1 Added micro fixes to support invites and fixed export to xls table

Return to “General OpenTTD”