Advanced signals and cross

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Nordic player
Engineer
Engineer

Advanced signals and cross

Post by Nordic player »

I have played ttd from the beginning, and I have strugling a lot with the signals. I feel it more cofortable to play with advanced signals than Block signals. I have one case that I often get problem. Inn cross that is nerby each other, the trains have problems. Is pre exit and combi signals the only way to handle that problem. Specialy when there is long trains involved, that can cause problems
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Advanced signals and cross

Post by mak »

Does not solve your problem but I always use Path and One-way Path signals, also ensure that the first signal after a junction is far enough away to allow the longest train to clear the junction.
Nordic player
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordic player »

That was the answer on the quistion. I play, with firs 4. Fantastic, I love to play with the industrial complex in firs 4. Maybe I have to heavy trafic on the line. There is some distance between the steelmill and factory and between there is it tracks to the scrapyard and mines. The problem inn the game is that the trafic is going very slow. The answer is not more train. The coal train should to to trips a year, but only do one. So my problem inn this game is slow trafic. Every steeltrain is 7 tiles. And I concider to make the coal train longer, but it only make one less. Faster line would double the steel production and make it nececary to make more goodstrain. So the problem for meg, in this game is the waiting time for the trains. If pre and exit signal dont fix the problem with slow cross, I only can see one answer. Feber path signals. I must find a way to speed upp the trafic on the lines. The station raiting is terible
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

The best and simplest way to speed up trains if there are too many or there are problems with trains passing each other is to use 2 tracks, one for each direction and place unidirectional block signals on each track.
This way the trains never get blocked.
You need to make sure that all the trains travel at the same speed otherwise the slow ones will block the fast ones.
This can be partially fixed with overtaking sidings which allow the fast trains to overtake the slow ones.
Nordic player
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordic player »

I always build double track and and route the train to a depot. I use pathsignals . I played with Block signals earlier, but you need pre out and combi signals inn advanced cross. I give upp the game and start a new one with firs 4. Use off waypoints and fewest train each depot. I reconice that one off the reason that slow down the trafic was waiting time at the depots. I also will try to make three crosspoints to one. That shouldnt be a problem to make 3 station on the same line, that have one crosspoint. Crosspoints slow down the trafic a lot. I use timberwolf trains and start inn 1930. That wil always be a problem, that some trains is faster than other. A tanker wagon have a speed limit off 112 km/t a conteiner wagon 144km/t.I dont mix pasenger and goodstrafic. But on heavy freightlines there always would be some diferense inn speed and there is a lot of upgrading off the wagons that take time. As I can see crosspoints and depot slow down and have a bigger efect off the avarge speed on a line than the diference inn speed that could be 30 km/t

Return to “General OpenTTD”