Some suggestions ?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Some suggestions ?

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I'm playing with JGR patchpack, and I'm trying to find some correctly balanced settings/newgrf.

I like to play early years (ie starting 1850 or before) as I love to rethink my network while new vehicles appears.
Later all vehicles are about the same, and challenge is more about efficiency rather than investments choices.

In a perfect world, I would like to play huge map (2048x2048) with few towns (20) and few industries (less than 10 of each).
=> Challenge would be about creating local networks then connect them together as the vehicle speeds allow longer courses.

But I always face problems :
- Early vehicles are so slow that they can't earn money, or not enought to grow the network
- Trucks are always completely useless : I my opinion there is a big issue with balancing (truks to expensive and running cost too high compared to the trains), capacities and speeds are also. Even worst, in the OpenGFX, first trucks are usless compared to the first train that is realease before!
- Industries are producing completely amazing quantities. Even with ring stations and traffic jams, you never can transport the 5000 units/month produced by any FIRS indistry with early vehicles

Do you have some good GRF/parameters/game script in my to help me ?

Also, I always see very nice screenshots of 32bpp graphics, but I never found how to get them on bananas.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Some suggestions ?

Post by 2TallTyler »

My new industry set, Industries of the Caribbean, might be of interest. It changes gameplay significantly and won’t be to everyone’s liking, but “trucks are useless” is one of the problems I tried to solve.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Try using ' Check Online Content ' from main menu , type 32 in the filter box will give a list of what you are looking for .
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

For an early game, grab eGRVTS and/or PolRoads and/or Timberwolf's UK Road Vehicles. All introduce horse & wagon early and have some early trams as well which will help with making trucks more useful. Also grab Sailing Ships.

The awesome 32bpp stuff you're seeing is most likely CZTR sets, but IIRC they don't do early stuff at all. Vehicles are also not compatible with anything but stock industries or it's own CZTR industries.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I use to play with eGRVTS but :
- Horse are too much fast/high capacity compared to later first steam trucks
- Trucks < 1900 are not profitable : whatever you carry, whereever, you always can't cover the running cost or earn about 1 K euro per year... so after 2 decades you still can't build a new road for a new line.
- As horses can't be replaced with viable steam trucks before about 1900, the game is boring and capacity is way too small and loading time way too long : all industries closes because less than 10% of production can be transported even with 300 horses on each line (and big trafic jams)

Vehicles before 1900 needs to be completely reworked to be usable in my opinion (with vanilla industries and FIRS at least).

Il will try the other road vehicles sets you mentioned.

I'll try also the caribbeans newgrf, but I'm not sure it will fix the problems I have with capacities/profits of early vehicles.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

ECS secondary industries produce small amounts of cargo even without any input to process. Horse carriages or small trains can handle such output easily.

But yes, generally all industry sets more or less rather static in terms of production and industry chains, there is lack of industry set which may evolve
from simply chain of primitive industries producing small amounts of cargo into sophisticated industry chains which production is scalable (either by nested chains of production supplies, or manpower/electricity production, or standard station rating mechanism).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

2TallTyler wrote: 19 Jul 2021 18:29 My new industry set, Industries of the Caribbean, might be of interest. It changes gameplay significantly and won’t be to everyone’s liking, but “trucks are useless” is one of the problems I tried to solve.
Is there something I should know about the map generation?
Each time I create a new game, it says it wasn't able to create an "import/export" industry.

I tried different map size with suggested parameters but is never construct this industry.
=> It's funinding price is 0, so I funded one, but it's quite weird as it the only revenue source ;)

Also, your GRF need "Improved City Layout" that is not in the NewGRF selection suggested on the project page.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Strange, it works for me with a variety of map generation settings. Can you provide a savegame where it didn't generate?

ITL is listed in the "Required NewGRFs" section. :wink:
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

The vrey strange think is that I have 2 computers with same OTTD version (JGR 42.2) and with same settings I don't have the same result on both computers : one generates beaches and import/export industries, and the other one doesn't :shock:

Return to “General OpenTTD”