Quick question about using Pre or Path signals at station entry point

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Xour
Engineer
Engineer

Quick question about using Pre or Path signals at station entry point

Post by Xour »

Hi there, first post here. I hope I'm not breaking any rule right off the bat!

I used to play Transport Tycoon Deluxe back in the 00s, and I recently discovered OpenTTD on Steam. Needless to say, nostalgia kicked in and I was instantly hooked. I just couldn't believe how much the game has improved! Well, I guess I should say how much work OpenTTD devs have done, really really impressive!

Anyways, I've been watching Master Hellish YouTube tutorials, reading the wiki, asking around on the internet for the past couple of days. Yesterday I learned about Path Signals, and oh boy these are great! However, I do have a question, particularly about their usage at station entry points.

I made a few tests using a Path Signal vs Pre Signals and it seems that Pre Signals have a tiny edge in performance in this particular scenario. My question is, if I'm trying to split the traffic evenly at a Ro-Ro station entry, is there a reason to use Path signals over Pre signals?

Attached is a video of one of the tests I made.

Thanks!

EDIT: For some reason I cannot attach the mp4 file, weird! Anyways, this is the testing layout:

dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Quick question about using Pre or Path signals at station entry point

Post by dol422 »

Path signals have the advantage that only one signal needs to be placed at the start of the junction. Trains will automatically choose a path and reserve ahead to the next signal without much input from yourself.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

my advice to any newcomer: ignore presignals, use path signals everywhere. they're much simpler, and also superior in almost all practical usecases
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Eddi wrote: 30 Jun 2021 17:24 my advice to any newcomer: ignore presignals, use path signals everywhere. they're much simpler, and also superior in almost all practical usecases
Yes, absolutely this. I'm starting to suspect that we'd see far fewer questions about signalling if everything but the two path signal types were hidden by default.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, that's a tad optimistic. we see this in games like Transport Fever, and plenty of people don't understand signal placement there either.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Eddi wrote: 30 Jun 2021 20:32 well, that's a tad optimistic. we see this in games like Transport Fever, and plenty of people don't understand signal placement there either.
Sure, but Transport Fever doesn't trick you into learning about a bunch of stuff that is actually entirely useless in 99.9% of situations.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Taschi wrote: 30 Jun 2021 17:36 I'm starting to suspect that we'd see far fewer questions about signalling if everything but the two path signal types were hidden by default.
Definitely good idea: interface settings 'show advanced pre-signals in signal selection menu' with default off.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just to emphasise this point: yes, i agree that block signals should be hidden by default

Return to “General OpenTTD”