OpenTTD now available on GOG.com

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD now available on GOG.com

Post by TrueBrain »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: OpenTTD now available on GOG.com

Post by pelya »

What was the problem that gog.com team found?
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

On starting the MacOS build manually (on either Steam or GOG), it would ask to download OpenGFX, while it was already there. I f*** up the location of folders :)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Ah, so it's not a magic OpenGL drivers fix.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Yay, nice, kudos!
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Do you have plans for other game stores like itch.io? Or becoming a maintainer of the Android release on Amazon app store? I'll transfer the app listing to your Amazon dev account.
What about Google TV? Did anyone optimize the game for gamepad and no mouse? Maybe PS5 port will be possible then.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pelya wrote: 10 Jun 2021 11:53 Do you have plans for other game stores like itch.io? Or becoming a maintainer of the Android release on Amazon app store? I'll transfer the app listing to your Amazon dev account.
What about Google TV? Did anyone optimize the game for gamepad and no mouse? Maybe PS5 port will be possible then.
I think you're doing a great job there with the android release. Yet if you can share the account details with TB or orudge, it would reduce the bus factor (but would not need any change - or transfer and grant you manager access there... dunno).
Just my 2ct.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

PM me your Google account email and I'll add you to the Play Store dev console.
Or alternatively make jil8885 the member of your dev team, he is the only person I know who previously compiled OpenTTD Android releases.
I'd also like a dedicated QA person for Android releases. Having someone test the release before I publish something stupid like crashing cloud saves would be great, because I'm usually doing the minimum effort and can't be bothered.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

A surprising number of "4 stars" reviews. :(
BTW, why is XP not on the list of supported OS? Is there a reason OTTD might not run on XP (or hypothetically 2000)?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

bjgttd wrote: 10 Jun 2021 15:43 BTW, why is XP not on the list of supported OS? Is there a reason OTTD might not run on XP (or hypothetically 2000)?
The current Visual C++ compiler version does not support Windows XP anymore, and that is not even surprising given that XP has been out of official support for at least five years at this point. Therefor, OpenTTD stopped supporting Windows XP with, uh, 1.10? 1.11? There was a big kerfuffle about that decision.

So, tl;dr: XP is not on the list of supported OS because it is not a supported OS.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Reviews are pretty much what I would expect - unintuitive controls, heaps of settings but no important ones like font typeface selection, over complicated game mechanics like signals.

If you really want to get irritated, go read Play Store reviews. The lack of in-game tutorial causes a noticeable drop in the ratings. The lack of default AI causes people to question the game's end goal. And that's ignoring the stuff I can do nothing about, like complaints about touchscreen controls.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Taschi wrote: 10 Jun 2021 16:18
bjgttd wrote: 10 Jun 2021 15:43 BTW, why is XP not on the list of supported OS? Is there a reason OTTD might not run on XP (or hypothetically 2000)?
The current Visual C++ compiler version does not support Windows XP anymore, and that is not even surprising given that XP has been out of official support for at least five years at this point. Therefor, OpenTTD stopped supporting Windows XP with, uh, 1.10? 1.11? There was a big kerfuffle about that decision.

So, tl;dr: XP is not on the list of supported OS because it is not a supported OS.
With that said, there is a user who is taking the time to provide an independent release of OpenTTD on Windows XP: viewtopic.php?p=1243277#p1243277
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Because we do not build for WinXP :) Also not for Win98, Win95, DOS, ... ;) And for what we don't build, we tend not to support :D

In general, we support only a very "narrow" set of OSes: Windows, Linux and MacOS, and only their somewhat recent versions (most of the time the current and last version is what we test on/for).

For example, we also don't support Ubuntu 16.04. But it most likely runs on it :)

This has to do with three things:
1) we don't have that many active developers, and it is better if we are picky on what we focus our resources on. given time is the most scarce resource, we better be efficient with it. Which means not supporting OSes with only 5 players (out of, if Steam is an indicator, 500,000+ players).
2) we use build-farms to compile binaries. And if they do not support a target, or it takes great effort to support it .. we tend to not support it.
3) "recently" we switched to a more modern version of the programming language we use (C++17), which is simply not supported on many targets (like Win98). This change helps us a lot, as we need far less resources to do the same thing in C++17 over, say, C++98. Which helps 99% of our players, as we can deliver more stuff in the same time (which, again, is our most scarce resource :D)

In the end, it is then up to the community to support it or not. That is the great thing about Open Source in the end :) and we see this a lot. For example, we do not support flatpack, Docker, android, ... (a rather long list), but you can find OpenTTD on those targets easily! We just don't distribute them via our official channels.

That said, we always have been accepting Pull Request to fix broken builds on unsupported OSes; as long as it doesn't unreasonably increase our workload, we are fine with it. (SerenityOS fixes as a recent example of that :P)

Now especially for WinXP .. that OS is so incredibly old ... it is about time we just say: no, it is enough, lets be realistic :) But for some reason this question keeps popping up, as if people have a weird fixation with Windows XP :P

Anyway, my 2 cents :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

TrueBrain wrote: 10 Jun 2021 20:03 Now especially for WinXP .. that OS is so incredibly old ... it is about time we just say: no, it is enough, lets be realistic :) But for some reason this question keeps popping up, as if people have a weird fixation with Windows XP :P
It's not a surprise. Windows XP is an ideal platform for a lot of 90s/00s-era games because it had broad support for lots of hardware in that era, and it's not very expensive now to build a super game machine of that era. And Microsoft doesn't care if people are pirating it anymore, not that they need to because there's plenty of WinXP keys out in the wild. And since most of these machines aren't going to be connected directly to the Internet because of security risks, and there' no more real updates, it keeps things simple.

I think a lot of people, though, don't realize that OpenTTD isn't a 90s/00s-era game, it's a modern-day CLONE of that era's game, and with it comes the full modernization to run it on modern OSes. And slowly it has morphed into not just a clone, but its own game in its own right.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

kamnet wrote: 10 Jun 2021 18:26 With that said, there is a user who is taking the time to provide an independent release of OpenTTD on Windows XP: viewtopic.php?p=1243277#p1243277
Thanks!
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

The lack of support for XENIX has always been a thorn in my side, especially the inability to fit the entire game on a 5-1/4" floppy disk... :mrgreen:

A question for the developers: how much more development do you foresee now that OpenTTD has found a home on Steam and GOG? I always thought if this game every made it to distribution platforms of such visibility, it might a time to think about a retirement party sooner rather than later. I have watched this game evolved for a long time, and I always wondered how much more could be squeezed in before it starts to grow beyond the limits that contain it within its 1990's self.

No matter where it goes from here, it has been, it is, and it always will be an amazing rebirth for an amazing game.
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

Return to “General OpenTTD”