FIRS engineering supplies for gung-ho every 3 months

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

PointLuck
Engineer
Engineer

FIRS engineering supplies for gung-ho every 3 months

Post by PointLuck »

Hi,

I'm playing FIRS and I'm trying to supply engineering supplies "at least 80 creates every 3 months", however it often falls back to normal production even though my train is timetabled to deliver exactly 80 crates every 85 days. Is a month = 30 days? It's not very clear from the documentation. Or is a month an actual calendar month? That would mean if I delivered it just at the last day of the calendar month I need to bring again in roughly 60 days.

Cheers, PointLuck.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: FIRS engineering supplies for gung-ho every 3 months

Post by LaChupacabra »

Perhaps there are some delays in deliveries from time to time and hence a drop in production. I set a shorter time (ca.80) to be sure if I use the schedule. It's best if you include save. :)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

PointLuck wrote: 03 Jun 2021 16:43Or is a month an actual calendar month? That would mean if I delivered it just at the last day of the calendar month I need to bring again in roughly 60 days.
i haven't checked, but i'm pretty sure that's what it is.
PointLuck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PointLuck »

The only time it works reliably is when I make it deliver 80 crates every 60 days, instead of 85 days. I also checked more closely and indeed if I deliver 80 crates just end of november, production fell back to normal on 1st of february, not end of february. As if they compute the last 3 calendar months including the current month, then end of november is already out.

I'm very sure I got the timetable stuff right and I also see that the train arrives before 85 days. I cant be the only one that is confused by the interpretation of "3 months"?
PointLuck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PointLuck »

Eddi wrote: 03 Jun 2021 20:01
PointLuck wrote: 03 Jun 2021 16:43Or is a month an actual calendar month? That would mean if I delivered it just at the last day of the calendar month I need to bring again in roughly 60 days.
i haven't checked, but i'm pretty sure that's what it is.
Ok then thanks. Didnt see your answer when I started typing my last post.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I believe it looks at calendar months, not number of days passed.

So if you deliver on March 31st it counts as a delivery in March, giving you increased production for March, April and May, meaning on June 1st production is back down, unless you've made a new delivery in the meantime.

More specifically, it should keep track of how much was delivered in the past 3 months, and check that the sum of that is above 80 (or whatever).
So if you deliver 30 units every month you should have a rolling total of 90. In general, many small deliveries are more reliable than a few large deliveries for this.
PointLuck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PointLuck »

jfs wrote: 04 Jun 2021 09:32 I believe it looks at calendar months, not number of days passed.

So if you deliver on March 31st it counts as a delivery in March, giving you increased production for March, April and May, meaning on June 1st production is back down, unless you've made a new delivery in the meantime.

More specifically, it should keep track of how much was delivered in the past 3 months, and check that the sum of that is above 80 (or whatever).
So if you deliver 30 units every month you should have a rolling total of 90. In general, many small deliveries are more reliable than a few large deliveries for this.
In principle I agree. But because it looks at the sum of the current & last-2 months (3 months in total), it means that if you plan to deliver every month, you need to deliver every month half of your 3-month target. Since 1 out of the 3 months the game uses to check your deliveries is the just-now-new-month and that one usually has 0 deliveries.

So if I plan to stay in gung-hu with 80 per 3 months, I timetable it to deliver 40 every month and then I can be just _barely_ sure that the stats are always >=80. It means you need to spend 150% of what you really want.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I usually build a short train that can take exactly 80 units of engineering supplies, and give it a full load order. This way I ensure that every delivery switches the industry into the gung-ho mode, and none of the supplies are wasted. Once I complete a feedback loop (e. g. Oil Wells — Oil Refinery — Machine Shop), the engineering supplies are usually available in excess, and the supply train runs every month or so.

Return to “General OpenTTD”