Signal problems

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

stuarta
Engineer
Engineer

Signal problems

Post by stuarta »

I'm having some problems with signals and was hoping someone could please help me out. I have a 3 platform station that is only feeding 2 other lines at the moment but at times, both trains are getting stuck at the signals (in red) when the Bristol station is empty. There are also occasions where a train might be stuck at one of the signals if a train is in the station.

Now the second one I can understand because I'm guessing I need a signal in the blue areas but I don't understand the first situation. Can someone please let me know what type of signal I should use and placement? The idea is to have maybe 3 more lines feeding in but obviously need to sort this first.

Many thanks
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.66 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Signal problems

Post by Wahazar »

You need add signals between station and depots (you need to bulldoze one tile of the platforms).
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

You also should consider using path signals at the "entrances" to your station, instead of block signals. That won't fix your problem - but once your problem *is* fixed, it'll make things go a lot smoother.
stuarta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stuarta »

McZapkie wrote: 01 Jun 2021 16:25 You need add signals between station and depots (you need to bulldoze one tile of the platforms).
ok but I want to keep it as 3 platforms so the depots are causing the problems? Or are you saying make the platforms one tile shorter so that I can add a signal between the depot and the station? Another issue I've noticed a couple of times and again while demolishing that station, I can't build alongside another station. So in this instance, I have a bus and truck depot (red) all called Bristol North, but when I demolish the station, it's not allowing me to join it again to Bristol North and will only allow me to create a new one.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

1. Yes, put signal between station and these crossings+depot. Also use path signals instead of block signals in case of junctions. Path signal is red if path is blocked, block signal is red if any adjacent track is blocked, even if not used by train.
2. Use CTRL.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

A picture paints a thousand words but to say, if you have two trains approaching where does the one in the station go (rhetorical). You need an in and out track
Your layout improved below but my suggeastion above, it is nt the only solution . All signals are path and the ones on the outbound track are at least a train length from the junction this will stop any train blocking the junction.
Attachments
Pleedingney Bridge Transport, 1952-01-26.png
(1.89 MiB) Not downloaded yet
stuarta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stuarta »

McZapkie wrote: 01 Jun 2021 17:18 1. Yes, put signal between station and these crossings+depot. Also use path signals instead of block signals in case of junctions. Path signal is red if path is blocked, block signal is red if any adjacent track is blocked, even if not used by train.
2. Use CTRL.
I've used CTRL and joined plenty together but I've got a couple that refuse to join and like this one, once I demolish the station, it won't allow me to create another and join it back to the existing bus and lorry depot
stuarta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stuarta »

mak wrote: 01 Jun 2021 17:56 A picture paints a thousand words but to say, if you have two trains approaching where does the one in the station go (rhetorical). You need an in and out track
Your layout improved below but my suggeastion above, it is nt the only solution . All signals are path and the ones on the outbound track are at least a train length from the junction this will stop any train blocking the junction.
Great thank you, that bottom one looks exactly what I wanna do so will check it out tomorrow.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

stuarta wrote: 01 Jun 2021 18:02 I've used CTRL and joined plenty together but I've got a couple that refuse to join and like this one, once I demolish the station, it won't allow me to create another and join it back to the existing bus and lorry depot

Then, the station is either too big (i think the limit is 20x20 tiles by default but you can change it in the settings), or the city hates you and refuses building permits to you.
stuarta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stuarta »

Ok thanks will check that out
stuarta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stuarta »

ok thank you and think I have it. This seems to work. I think I might have had signals looking in the wrong direction as well.

With regards to joining the station, it was set to 12 so I've increased it to 20 and works now.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (72.72 KiB) Viewed 1172 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”