Do Different Versions Lead to Different Difficulties?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Do Different Versions Lead to Different Difficulties?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I've been at a loss to discover the reason for the wild divergence in success between my Tuhaven & Badburg and Tendean-Leningdon games.
They are of course being played by the same person with the same playstyle and quirks (no diesels,no monorails,no non-upgrade vehicle replacements...)
Same or very similar NewGRF sets.
Same or very similar game settings.(Breakdowns,inflation...).
Same or very similar world generation parameters.
Very similar start years (T&B 1880,T&L 1878).
Similar histories of buying (T&B 1939,T&L 1947) a LuDiAIAfterFix that was challenging in the standings with its road vehicles but always concentrating on the rail network afterward except when a clearly superior road vehicle could be ordered to replace the fleet.
Both games have their money-losing experiments of long standing (Coastal Long Haul,Malsay-Accley).

Yet in 1970 T&L is just rolling in cash and T&B on the point of collapse (in 1971 I gave up and went back to a what-if-no-merger fork).

I noticed that I apparently originated T&B in November 2016 and T&L in November 2018...did the mechanics of the game versions change in that period to make things easier?
I know in some of my very old games changes in elevation slow down trains much more than in more recent versions,for example.

Some things are random game to game (reliability of particular vehicles) but I don't see a global reliability gap between these games in particular...I have noticed a change in historical trends,I THINK (T&B electrified tracks in 1965 in response to fading steam reliability while it has not been necessary for T&L though it's clearly approaching)

But I don't see what I have done differently to produce such different results.(Do recent versions "reroll the dice" on reliability of vehicles?...someone playing with a save of mine uploaded a version where the figures were different,I can provide the numbers my vehicles have as is).Is it the game or is it (unknowingly) me?
Attachments
Tendean-LeningdonRailGroup,1stOct1970.sav
Doing great.(This year's profit drop is from bus replacement)
(4.63 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
TuhavenandBadburgRRCo.,1stOct1970.sav
At death's door,almost
(4.41 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Do Different Versions Lead to Different Difficulties?

Post by odisseus »

I cannot inspect your saved games, because some of the add-ons you use cannot be downloaded from the server.

Anyway, you can find the answer yourself by inspecting the categories of income and expenses in the profits table, especially the property maintenance.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

odisseus wrote: 15 May 2021 22:05 I cannot inspect your saved games, because some of the add-ons you use cannot be downloaded from the server.

Anyway, you can find the answer yourself by inspecting the categories of income and expenses in the profits table, especially the property maintenance.
I regret that the Brianum NewGRFs got removed after I downloaded them.
I don't see that these screenshots answer my questions.
Attachments
Tendean -Leningdon Rail Group, 1st Oct 1970.png
(1.15 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Tuhaven and Badburg RR Co., 1st Oct 1970.png
(2.53 MiB) Not downloaded yet
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

One difference that's easy to spot is the average income of trains. The blue company has about 1.4 million pounds per train per year, whereas the orange one has about 0.9 million pounds. On the other hand, the average train running costs seem to be similar (about 0.7 million pounds per train per year).
Last edited by odisseus on 18 May 2021 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I just noticed that the loan limit (not that I borrowed money) was more different than the companies' ages (8.95M for the 90-year-old company and 9.7M for the 92-year-old company).
Was that changed per se or is there some mechanic driving the rate of increase that I was not aware of?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

loan limit is affected by how high inflation rate is, and how long it's been running.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Both games have inflation on from,as noted,very close start years.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

You should try to focus on the difference between the train incomes. If the average train income of the orange company were the same as that of the blue company, it would have earned an additional 40 million pounds each year.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 18 May 2021 06:14 Both games have inflation on from,as noted,very close start years.
that leaves out half of my comment.

also, inflation changed in 1.11
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote: 18 May 2021 06:35
Baldy's Boss wrote: 18 May 2021 06:14 Both games have inflation on from,as noted,very close start years.
that leaves out half of my comment.

also, inflation changed in 1.11
Both games are running 1.10.3 and were started with different prior versions.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I went back and didn't merge with the road operator,but the T&B is still in dire straits as of October 1970.
(I've played the T&L forward with uninterrupted success).
Attachments
TuhavenandBadburgRRCo.,1stOct1970.sav
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 45 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”