OpenTTD Guide

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ondra_Kralik
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD Guide

Post by Ondra_Kralik »

Hello my dear OpenTTD players. As of April 1. OpenTTD is also available on Steam. Which also means a lots of new players. But if you are starting from scratch OpenTTD can be very Hard to understand and play. So i made a text dokument which i think can teach an absolute Newbie to play the game at an Advanced tier. Also i am now working WITH!!!!! a coresponding Channels where i will be posting more detailed guides. This dokument is available in Czech and English language.
Here you have them. :D
Attachments
Game tactics_ OpenTTD EN.pdf
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 547 times
Game Tactics_OpenTTD CZ.pdf
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: OpenTTD Guide

Post by siu238X »

Frankly introducing mods in the beginning is innovative but seems a bit odd to me.

I think a more conventional approach would be better for those not having played before, i.e. start from the basics. After the actual guide, explain the difference between TTD and OpenTTD, and after that introduce the mods. To balance the needs of different players (beginner / with TTD experience / experts), a statement of direction in the introduction should do.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

The wiki already contains a game manual that's much more comprehensive and thought over. If you want to make a useful contribution, consider translating it to your language.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

And, for that matter, if there is anything in the wiki which you believe can be improved, you are empowered to create a free GitHub account, then log in and make any modifications you think are beneficial. Feel free to run it by the community here if you're not confident it's a good thing to add.
Ondra_Kralik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ondra_Kralik »

Yeah i know it has some flaws but IT is my First document guide the others for other games will be a lot better i actually learned a lot from this one and from your replies.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Good job.
If talking about mods/graphics, there should be screen how to use ingame online content, before description of some existing examples.
And maybe shift this chapter further.
First chapter should be about how to start game.
Beginner can play game without new graphics or even without AI.

BTW traffic lights are for cars, proper name for trains are signals.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Having a guide for beginners great idea, even some players who been playing for a while could benefit from it too.
odisseus wrote: 13 May 2021 10:34 The wiki already contains a game manual that's much more comprehensive and thought over.
I forgot about that .. might be an idea those who have topics put a reminder of that link in their forums as well. I shall put a link in my forums to help and maybe this topic as well.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908

Return to “General OpenTTD”