Adding original TTD graphics in 1.11

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eli van der Geest
Engineer
Engineer

Adding original TTD graphics in 1.11

Post by Eli van der Geest »

Since upgrading to 1.11, it does't seem possible anymore to let the game know where the orginal TTD graphics are located while installing the game, is there a way to add them on any other way? I am sorry if this is a very stupid question. :shock:

Also, is there a way to play multiplayer with different versions of the game ( a windows 98 pc with 1.8 and a windows xp pc with 1.10 and a windows 10 pc with 1.11 together) or has anyone compiled the newer versions so they work on older operation systems. I am most likely the only one that still cares about 9x no longer being supported :P (and even xp since the latest version)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Adding original TTD graphics in 1.11

Post by Eddi »

yes, you can simply copy them into the "baseset" folder that is created when you start the game for the first time, next to the openttd.cfg file
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Multiplayer only works with the exact same versions for all players.

There are two reasons newer versions aren't being built for Windows 9x and XP any longer. First is that we want to use modern tools/language features to make the code easier to mange and extend, and it's difficult to find compilers that support those and can also target old platforms. The other is that the older systems all need special code for various things, which means we the code has more different branches which takes more time to maintain and test properly. Especially the testing part is a problem since none of the current developers particularly enjoy keeping old machines around for testing.
Eli van der Geest
Engineer
Engineer

Eddi wrote: 10 May 2021 00:38 yes, you can simply copy them into the "baseset" folder that is created when you start the game for the first time, next to the openttd.cfg file
I looked in the baseset folder (c:\program files\openttd\) and some files starting with orig_ already are there, but I copied the .grf files from the ttd folder and that fixed it. what files do I need to copy from the ttd folder to make the sound and music work too?

edit: I got music working too by copying the files from the general midi (gm) folder, only the sound now :)

edit 2: I got the sound working too by copying sample.cat
Last edited by Eli van der Geest on 11 May 2021 23:03, edited 2 times in total.
Eli van der Geest
Engineer
Engineer

jfs wrote: 10 May 2021 10:15 Multiplayer only works with the exact same versions for all players.

There are two reasons newer versions aren't being built for Windows 9x and XP any longer. First is that we want to use modern tools/language features to make the code easier to mange and extend, and it's difficult to find compilers that support those and can also target old platforms. The other is that the older systems all need special code for various things, which means we the code has more different branches which takes more time to maintain and test properly. Especially the testing part is a problem since none of the current developers particularly enjoy keeping old machines around for testing.
Ah, well that explains a lot and I can imagine 95% of people playing openttd are using a modern computer for it anyway, so that is indeed just too much effort for too little gain.

Return to “General OpenTTD”