How do you take good screenshots?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

How do you take good screenshots?

Post by Taschi »

Okay, yes, I know that I can press CTRL + S, or use the screenshot menu, or use CTRL + PRINT and then paste into MS Paint.

My question is, how do I get good-looking screenshots with the least amount of effort? I play with station labels and town labels enabled and a bunch of world elements hidden / transparent, and that looks kind of bad on screenshots. So, how do I get a nice-looking screenshot that's suitable for the Monthly Screenshot Contest? Is there any trick that allows me to get a 1920x1080 screenshot with just the environment and trains without manually disabling a bunch of UI elements, disabling transparency, then cropping the menu bars out of the resulting image, and then re-enable all those things so I can keep playing?

What's your workflow here?
kamnet

Re: How do you take good screenshots?

Post by kamnet »

Disabling all the distracting elements and then cropping and pasting.

So, exactly the thing you're wanting to avoid. :)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How do you take good screenshots?

Post by jfs »

You can use the "Default zoom screenshot" or "Fully zoomed in screenshot" button in the Screenshot window (from the "Query" menu, question mark icon) to take a UI-less screenshot. It will follow your current transparency settings.

Return to “General OpenTTD”