new grf not displaying

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jgf
Engineer
Engineer

new grf not displaying

Post by jgf »

Back for the first time in ages (though TTDx/OpenTTD have been on my systems a quarter century now) with a stupid noob question.

Trying a heightmap of Japan with numerous Japanese grfs; the heightmap looks good, the scenery, buildings, tracks, town names, etc. are all there, but when I try to create a train ... there are no Japanese locomotives. There are a couple of Rhodesian trains, a couple of South African trains, an Australian train, a couple of others (I've never installed any grfs that would account for these), but nothing Japanese. And when I scroll down to look at cars, there are a few small ones (Japanese? no descriptions) then just generic car names with question marks on grey discs instead of images. I have completely wiped out and restarted this several times, same results. (BTW, I can only build a Japanese platform - looks like concrete slab with tracks on it, select any other Japanese station and am told "you cannot build that here".)

I've no doubt the solution is something embarrassingly simple, so am prepared for utter humiliation.

This is the list of new grfs being loaded:

av8_aviators_aircraft_set-2.21
better_vehicle_names.v1
toyland_temperate_replacement-2012.10.12
tropic_refurbishment_set.0.3c
japanese_town_names.0.6
japanset_landscape-3.2
japanese_train_set-3.3
japanese_trees-3.0
japanese_maglevs-3.1
japanese_buildings-3.1
japanese_faces-3.0
japanese_stations-3.6
japanese_tracks-3.2
total_bridge_renewal_japan-1.12

(PS - starting game in 1930, considering there might not be any trains in those sets that early, I cheated and set time to 1950, then back to 1930; didn't help.)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: new grf not displaying

Post by Emperor Jake »

Those engines you mention are from the Tropic Refurbishment Set. Not sure why that's loaded, there's nothing Japanese about it :wink: Japanese engines will only appear on narrow gauge tracks, which you should have since you did load JapanSet Tracks.

If you want standard gauge Japanese trains check out NATS and TIAS. (Though they have no freight since Japan never had any standard gauge freight)
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Thanks, I didn't think those other grfs would interfere but I'll remove them and see what happens. Hoping to create a "Japanese TTDx".
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Yes you have a few unnecessary ones in there, I'd remove "better vehicle names" as it's pointless if you're using vehicle NewGRFs and probably causing the question marks. Toyland Temperate Replacement is pointless too if you're not playing Toyland.

If you'd like more stuff to add, consider:
Hiroshima Trams
Road Hog or Mop Generic RV (because there are no other Japanese road vehicle GRFs)
FISH or SQUID (because ships are important in Japan)
A road type set such as U&RaTT
Japanese Secret Engines (something I'm working on to improve the JapanSet's engines)
JP+ MUs (A major replacement and overhaul of Japanese MU trains)
NATS which I mentioned earlier - Erato also has some other cool Japanese stuff like maglevs and monorails
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Those had been part of my "normal" TTD, just added the Japanese set and saved.

But I removed them and now have the Japanese trains. Thanks.

Downloaded the trams, but are they standalone? Saw in the thread "relies on the WIP patches that I'm still currently coding".
Would like to find some Japanese road vehicles, the ubiquitous Leopard bus gets tiresome.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Just ignore the WIP patches thing, that's ancient TTDPatch stuff. It works fine in current versions of OTTD :wink:

And with any luck, there could be progress on a Japansese bus set sometime soon (but for now we're stuck with generic road vehicle sets)

Return to “General OpenTTD”